Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Real Estate Sales topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Killeen council clears sale of city-owned lot at 1506 Leader Drive for $15,000; buyer for adjacent parcel withdrew

4105223 · June 18, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council approved staff recommendation to sell 1506 Leader Drive, a 10,426-square-foot lot in Sugarloaf Estates, for $15,000. The prospective buyer for a second parcel on Linda Lane withdrew and staff will attempt to contact other bidders.

KILLEEN, Texas — The City of Killeen moved forward on June 17 with the sale of a vacant city-owned parcel at 1506 Leader Drive for $15,000 after staff told council the buyer for a companion parcel on Linda Lane withdrew an offer earlier in the day.

Assistant City Attorney Andy Wallander told the council staff identified two vacant fee-simple parcels in February 2025 located in the Sugarloaf Estates residential district. The Leader Drive parcel measures about 10,426 square feet and was conveyed to the city in February 2017; the Linda Lane parcel had an offer that was withdrawn the morning of the council meeting.

Wallander said both properties carry delinquent property taxes from prior to city ownership and liens related to nuisance abatements for high grass and weeds that were recorded before the city acquired the lots. For 1506 Leader Drive those abatement liens total $6,531.25. City policy allows waiver of such liens where a public purpose is served; staff recommended waiving the liens to make the lot marketable, and conditioned the sale on lien releases as part of the special warranty deed.

The parcels were publicly advertised on the multiple listing service for 30 days for cash offers; the highest offer received was $15,000 for both properties combined. Because the Linda Lane buyer withdrew, staff said it would contact other bidders to determine whether their prior offers remain valid instead of re-listing the parcel for a new 30-day listing.

Council approved the staff recommendation in the consent agenda; the motion to approve the consent agenda (with one item pulled unrelated to the sale) passed 5–0.