Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Comment Harassment Racism topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Kenmore residents urge council to address alleged harassment and racism toward long‑time caregiver; council directs staff to follow up

3857554 · June 17, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Multiple residents and attorneys reported ongoing harassment and alleged racially motivated surveillance and police responses affecting an 89‑year‑old Kenmore resident and his long‑time caregiver; council directed staff to contact the family and follow up.

Several residents and a pro bono attorney told Kenmore’s City Council Monday that a long‑time caregiver for an elderly resident has been excluded from the apartment where she provided nearly 17 years of care and that the family has experienced repeated police responses and alleged harassment.

Wael Othman, speaking during public comment, said the caregiver “has been his caregiver for the last 17 years, and she became part of the family,” and that a court granted a protection order against the caregiver that the family says has been enforced in ways that prevent essential care for an 89‑year‑old blind man. Attorney Joyce Chu, who said she represents one family member pro bono, described the harm as chronic and partly invisible: “the abuse is so chronic and so invisible.” Jamie Cho asked rhetorically, “Who gets justice?” and urged the council to follow up.

Why it matters: speakers said the family’s elder—legally blind and unable to care for himself—has lost consistent support when the caregiver stopped coming because of fear of arrest and neighborhood surveillance. Commenters alleged the police treated the complainants as victims and did not adequately address the family’s concerns; one attendee said officers responded with multiple squad cars on some calls.

Council response: Deputy Mayor O’Kane thanked the speakers and said the council would follow up. She said, "I would like to follow‑up to direct staff to follow‑up with Miss Jin and Mister Othman related to the issues they presented tonight," and asked staff to reach out directly. Interim City Manager Stephanie Lukacs later confirmed staff and the police chief had already met to review the matter and that discussions with the city attorney and other staff are continuing.

No formal policy or ordinance action was taken during the meeting. The council’s direction was to have staff contact the family and continue investigations and internal review; staff said they would report back to the council privately as appropriate and keep council updated on next steps.

The city recorded public comment and indicated that state law RCW 42.17A.555 limits public comment on campaign matters; speakers were instructed to focus on city business.