Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Recess And Playground Planning topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Parents urge daily outdoor recess, more equipment and playground planning for Great Valley 5–6 center
Summary
A June 16 public comment and board discussion highlighted parent support for daily outdoor recess, more equipment and supervision, and both short‑term fixes and long‑term playground planning at the district’s 5–6 center.
Get email alerts on the Recess And Playground Planning topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Cindy Parthmer, a candidate for Great Valley School Board Region 1, told the board at its June 16 special meeting that she had gathered parent feedback from local Facebook groups and that parents overwhelmingly support daily outdoor, developmentally appropriate recess at the district’s 5–6 center.
Parthmer presented a list of community priorities parents raised: consistently daily outdoor recess when weather permits; more low‑cost equipment and play space (for example, balls, jump ropes, chalk and four‑square courts); a balance of unstructured free play with optional structured activities (running clubs, gaga ball, gardening); improved supervision and training for aides to support inclusive play; long‑term infrastructure such as age‑appropriate equipment without sacrificing open space; flexible scheduling to broaden social opportunities across houses; developmentally appropriate active time for 10‑ and 11‑year‑olds; and parent involvement through donations and volunteering.
Parthmer summarized the input: "Great Valley parents overwhelmingly support daily active and developmentally appropriate recess at the 5 6 center." She also recommended short‑term fixes that could start in the fall — basic supplies and staffing — with longer‑term planning for outdoor spaces and a playground.
The board had earlier removed a line item about playground discussions from the personnel packet. A board member asked why the playground item had been stricken; a staff presenter said the issue would be addressed by administrators. The presenter said that since the prior meeting "Doctor Hammond and I have had 2 conversations about the recess" and that the site’s constraints — indoor space for nearly 800 students, sloped bus‑loop turf used for play when fields are unavailable, and supervision needs under a new bell schedule — prompted administrators to develop options over the summer. The presenter said, "Dr. Hammond and Mr Bridal, our assistant principal, are gonna take a little bit of time. They're gonna lay out some options this summer, and then they're gonna still see if there's any volunteers who can come in and engage. But if not, they're gonna take those limited options, their proposal, and start to engage staff early upon their return about recess."
School staff also said supervision capacity is a concern under the new structure and bell schedule. The assistant principal and Dr. Hammond were cited as the staff leads to present proposals and engage staff in August; volunteers and parent involvement were noted by Parthmer as possible supports. The board did not take separate formal action on playground construction or recess policy during the meeting.
The public comment and staff discussion distinguished community requests (parents’ suggestions and priorities) from district directions (administrators will draft options and return to staff and the board) and from formal decisions (the board removed the specific playground agenda line and did not vote on a new playground or policy).

