Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Mount Vernon City warns fireworks banned ahead of July 4; offers professional show at Edgewater Park
Summary
Mount Vernon City fire and police officials warned residents that fireworks are prohibited within city limits ahead of July 4, citing last year’s injuries and vegetation fires; violators face fines up to $1,000 and are asked to report incidents to the non-emergency line.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Mount Vernon City fire and police officials warned residents that fireworks are prohibited within city limits ahead of July 4 and said people who use or sell fireworks could face fines up to $1,000.
Ricardo Gómez, a representative of the Mount Vernon City Fire Department, and Sgt. Walter Martínez of the Mount Vernon City Police Department delivered the recorded public-safety message. Officials cited a serious injury to a Mount Vernon resident last year and several vegetation fires in residential areas tied to fireworks as reasons for the prohibition.
Gómez emphasized the penalty for violating the ban, saying, “Si estás usando o vendiendo fuegos artificiales dentro de la ciudad, podrías enfrentar multas de hasta 1000 dólares” ("If you are using or selling fireworks within the city, you could face fines up to $1,000"). Martínez promoted a city-sponsored alternative, saying, “La espectacular exhibición de fuegos artificiales comenzará al anochecer y el parque Edgewater es el lugar perfecto para disfrutar todo” ("The spectacular fireworks display will begin at dusk and Edgewater Park is the perfect place to enjoy it"). Officials said the park offers space for families to watch a professional, permitted show rather than using consumer fireworks at home.
The message instructed residents to report illegal fireworks to the city’s non-emergency line; the recording did not give a phone number. Officials framed the prohibition as a public-safety measure to protect people, homes, pets and first responders, and urged celebration "with responsibility" and to leave pyrotechnics to trained professionals.
The announcement did not cite an ordinance number or state agency statute, and it did not outline any recent vote or new action by the City Council during the recording. The speakers described the prohibition and penalties as existing city policy and provided safety guidance and an alternative public event for July 4.

