Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Election Administration Legislation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Rockingham elections director reviews pending state bills, party updates and campaign-finance review

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At the June 17 meeting, Rockingham County Elections Director Paula Seimser briefed the board on several pending state election bills, political-party status changes in the voter file, a state review of local campaign-finance records and administrative timelines for appointments and training.

ROCKINGHAM COUNTY, N.C. — At the June 17 meeting of the Rockingham County Board of Elections, executive director Paula Seimser summarized state legislative proposals, political-party changes in the voter file, the status of a campaign-finance records review and administrative timelines for upcoming appointments and conferences.

Seimser reviewed several bills pending in the North Carolina General Assembly, including House Bill 66 (proposing to reduce early voting days to a six-day period), House Bill 127 (requiring the State Board of Elections to develop a sample voter-registration form for organized drives), House Bill 411 (to shorten early voting for elections other than general elections) and House Bill 580 (a package of election-law changes recommended by the State Board). She said each bill had been referred to the House committee on rules, calendar and operations and that no further action had occurred since the bills’ referrals.

Seimser told the board that after the general election any new political parties that do not meet the 2% voter threshold will be removed from the State Election Management System (SEMS) and that county election staff had been told that inactive parties would be removed no later than June 17. She said she had asked whether affected voters would be notified but had not yet received a response.

On campaign-finance records, Seimser summarized state retention rules and an on-site review: the Rockingham County office follows the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources and Archives retention schedule, and campaign-finance records generally can be destroyed three years after the close of a committee. She said two investigators from the State Board of Elections visited the county office the week prior, completed their work in one day and told county staff "everything was in order"; Seimser said a follow-up report would be shared once state investigators finish contacting all individuals they wished to interview.

Seimser also reviewed administrative timelines: letters were mailed and emailed to local party chairs asking for recommendations for chief judges, judges and assistants for the 2025 municipal election and the 2026 primary and general elections; the county board is scheduled to appoint chief judges, judges and assistants at a meeting in August 2025, as required by North Carolina General Statutes. She reminded board members that the State Board of Elections was holding a summer conference in Wilmington in late July and that new board members must attend at least one conference within six months of taking office.

Seimser announced that 2025 municipal candidate filing would open in July and run through a Friday ending at noon; the transcript did not specify exact calendar dates for the opening Monday and closing Friday. She also said the State Board of Elections would appoint two Democrats and two Republicans to the county board on June 24 and that the state auditor would appoint the chair on June 25; appointees would not be able to take official actions until they were sworn in at noon in July.

The board had no formal votes on the legislative items at the June 17 meeting; Seimser’s report was informational and administrative in nature.