Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Recreation Access topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council orders temporary reopening of Fogland access; to monitor impacts through summer

3761562 · June 9, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After contested testimony from conservation groups and longtime users, the council voted to remove concrete blocks that had been restricting vehicle access to a Fogland Beach cul-de-sac and to monitor the area over the summer for environmental or safety impacts.

The Tiverton Town Council voted on June 9 to remove concrete blocks that had been placed to restrict vehicle access at the northern end of Fogland Beach and to monitor the area over the summer for any environmental damage or public-safety concerns.

Council members heard conflicting testimony: Open Space and conservation representatives said closing the cul-de-sac to vehicles would protect sensitive salt-marsh habitat, reduce freshwater impoundment and protect nesting shorebirds; long-time clammers and other residents described regular, low-volume use by older residents who rely on vehicle access to reach clamming and fishing spots and urged continued access.

The administrator said the blocks were originally proposed years ago and had been re-installed recently; the solicitor and staff said the decision was a council-level policy matter. Councilors noted a history of shifting management responsibilities among open-space and recreation authorities and said enforcement capacity is limited. One councilor urged a trial reopening and suggested signage limiting vehicle counts; another proposed monitoring by the town’s CSO (Conservation/Stormwater) and police patrols and returning to the council if problems or habitat damage emerged.

The council directed staff to remove the blocks, restore controlled vehicle access, and monitor use through the summer; if monitoring shows habitat damage, illegal activity or safety hazards, the council will reconsider restrictions. Staff were asked to consider signage and modest limits (for example, suggested maximum vehicle counts) and to coordinate monitoring with open-space staff and police.

The vote balanced competing policy goals: environmental protection and access for older residents who use the cul-de-sac for low-impact fishing and clamming.