Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Police Accountability topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
State attorney says February officer-involved shooting was "lawful and justified"; city schedules evidence release
Summary
Titusville officials announced the Florida Department of Law Enforcement review and an Eighteenth Judicial Circuit state attorney determination that the Feb. 7 officer-involved shooting was lawful; the city scheduled a family viewing and public release of evidence.
Get email alerts on the Police Accountability topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Titusville Mayor Andrew Connors and the city manager announced on June 10 that the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit state attorney has closed its review and found the Feb. 7, 2025, officer-involved shooting "lawful and justified." The city manager said Titusville Police were notified on June 10 that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's independent investigation had been reviewed by the state attorney's office and that the shooting was deemed lawful.
The city manager said the Charles family would be given an opportunity to view the investigative video before public release and that "the Titusville Police Department will make all evidence publicly available on Friday, June 13 at 0800 hours." Mayor Andrew Connors said the investigation had been conducted by an outside agency and thanked residents and officers for their patience during the review.
Why this matters: The finding closes the state attorney's review but has not ended community concern. Several speakers during public comment told the council they felt the city and police department had not been sufficiently transparent and called for continued dialogue and accountability.
Public reaction: Family members and community advocates addressed the council during petitions and public comment. Jamari Charles, who identified himself as related to the person shot, said he would continue public advocacy and questioned the department's handling of the case. Christina Michelle and other resident speakers raised concerns about the public narrative and alleged intimidation of community members who sought answers. Several speakers demanded more direct communication with the family and clearer explanations from the city about evidence access.
City next steps and timing: The city manager said contact had been made with the Charles family to arrange a meeting on Thursday, June 12, and that the city planned to publish the investigative evidence on Friday, June 13 at 8:00 a.m. The city reiterated a commitment to transparency and noted FDLE conducted the independent investigation and the state attorney performed the subsequent review.
Context and limits of local authority: City officials repeatedly framed the events as the results of an independent FDLE investigation followed by a state attorney review. Several speakers and council members noted community distrust and asked for ongoing engagement; the council took no formal vote or policy action at the June 10 meeting tied to the investigation report.

