Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Small Business topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Oldsmar council declines $49,195 food-truck consultant proposal; directs in-house review later

3674187 · May 21, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The city manager presented a $49,195 proposal from GAI Community Solutions Group to draft food-truck regulations and run public engagement. Councilors declined to authorize the expenditure now because of recovery workload and limited contingency reserves, and directed staff to pursue an in-house effort when capacity allows, likely by summer 2026.

City Manager Felicia Donnelly presented a proposal on May 20, 2025, from GAI Community Solutions Group for $49,195 to develop land-development code language for food trucks, including evaluation of ordinances in three jurisdictions, two virtual focus groups, one community workshop, and a technical memorandum of best practices.

Donnelly told the council the scope had already been trimmed compared with an earlier draft and that the proposal ‘‘includes evaluation of ordinances, a community engagement program, and a technical memorandum’’ and that the cost is not in the current budget. She added the alternative was to handle the work in-house when staff capacity permits.

Council members expressed broad support for enabling food trucks but unanimous concern about cost and staff capacity because the same staff are focused on hurricane recovery and permitting work. Vice Mayor Graber noted the city’s contingency reserve was about $158,000 and cautioned against spending a large share of that reserve now; others said the city could use existing special-event permitting channels in the near term and consider budgeting for a consultant in a future year. No contract or budget amendment was approved.

The council directed staff to pursue an in-house approach when workload allows (staff estimated that could begin by summer 2026 if no new storms or demands arise) and to explore using existing events and special-event permits to increase food-truck participation in the interim. The proposal will be considered later in budget discussions if council wishes to allocate funds for outside consulting.