Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Building Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Magistrate ratifies fines, warns of stronger action over unsafe Center Court balconies

3658893 · June 4, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Special Magistrate Jose Smith ratified prior orders and renewed a compliance deadline for Center Court apartments after inspectors found exterior balconies and support work unfinished; the magistrate set $500-a-day fines to resume if the building remains out of compliance and directed building officials to monitor structural safety closely.

Special Magistrate Jose Smith ratified prior enforcement orders against Center Court Apartments on June 4, 2025, after city inspectors reported that exterior balcony repairs and related work remain incomplete.

The magistrate told attorneys and property representatives that the city had already entered an order requiring repairs with a May 16 abatement date and that the property remained out of compliance. "Based on the unreboted testimony of the city's code enforcement officer, the photographs and other evidence presented that the property has been out of compliance since 05/16/2025 pursuant to my order," Smith said, adding that he would "ratify the fines accrued to date in the amount of $500 per day and assess costs in favor of the city."

Why this matters: City code and building-safety rules are meant to protect residents and neighbors from collapsing elements and similar hazards. Inspectors described balconies that need structural attention and noted ongoing reinspection and permitting work. The magistrate said the record showed incomplete engineering and permit submissions and urged the building department to press for complete engineering documentation.

What the hearing showed: Shanna Sanders, neighborhood services inspector, told the magistrate she'd observed incomplete façade and balcony repairs and had spoken with building management but had not received the required follow-up documentation. Christopher Colson of the building department confirmed that the owner had met with the building official once but had not returned with engineering letters and approved plans the department needs to clear work and issue permanent permits.

Smith emphasized the safety dimension and urged building officials to monitor the site. "The shoring is sufficient right now, but this stuff has been up for a while," Colson said; Smith added, "I want the building official to tell me his thoughts on red-tagging this building" if structural safety cannot be demonstrated.

Outcome and next steps: Smith ratified the existing adjudication, confirmed the $500-per-day fines accrued to date and ordered the fines to continue to run until the property demonstrates compliance. He set expectations that building officials must verify structural safety before any certificates of occupancy or final approvals are issued. The magistrate also directed staff to send orders and notices to the property’s listed management addresses and to continue inspections.

What to watch: Whether the building department receives the engineering letters and permit applications Smith and inspectors requested, and whether the owners complete the required repairs and inspections. Continued noncompliance will leave the city options that could include liens, higher enforcement penalties or, in extreme cases, additional actions to secure public safety.