Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Historic Church Demolition And Carillon topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Port Authority says storm-damaged church sanctuary likely to be demolished; talks under way to salvage carillon

3616637 · May 27, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Galion Port Authority previewed plans to seek a demolition permit for a storm-damaged church sanctuary, said insurance coverage for the bell tower is under appeal and described a $50,000 offer to remove the carillon for storage and restoration while the sanctuary demolition is planned.

The Galion Port Authority told City Council it has filed for a demolition permit and has begun planning for removal and potential salvaging of the historic bell set after a recent storm left the church tower unstable.

The Port Authority representative, Mark Rangelak, said the Richland County building department required a structural inspection after the storm and “told us we had to have it inspected by a structural engineer, devise a plan whereby it could be made safe or demolish it, and in the meantime, could not use the sanctuary portion of the building.” He said the Port Authority appealed an insurance claim after the insurer questioned coverage for damage to the tower.

The Port Authority’s structural review concluded the tower exterior was built with soft, non-kiln-fired brick and that rebuilding the tower to modern standards likely requires taking it down and reconstructing it. Rangelak said engineers recommended removing the tower and that the Port Authority had wrapped the exterior and placed fencing to prevent falling debris.

Council members and the Port Authority discussed options for salvaging interior items and the carillon. Rangelak said most movable items were removed previously but “there are still our pews. There still is stained glass, and there's still an altar.” He added the Port Authority would “be as accommodating as possible if [items] could be removed safely.”

On the carillon, Rangelak said the Port Authority has an offer to remove and store the bells: “We had an offer of $50,000 to remove the bells, to bring in the crane, to remove the bells, to put them in storage, and give a few dollars to the Port to use towards the demolition cost.” He said the $50,000 figure largely represents crane and crew costs for removal and storage; net proceeds expected to be modest once removal costs are subtracted.

Rangelak estimated demolition of the sanctuary portion would be roughly in the neighborhood of $200,000 after accounting for salvage sales and contractor costs and said the Port Authority has budgeted for demolition. He said the Port Authority will not need additional council funding to take down the sanctuary but may return later for zoning or redevelopment approvals.

The Port Authority said it has also engaged an environmental firm to survey the building for hazardous materials such as asbestos and expects a report by the end of the week. If hazardous materials require remediation prior to demolition, that work will be handled through the demolition permitting process.

Rangelak said the Port Authority’s preliminary redevelopment plan is to reuse the fellowship hall and classrooms to create market-rate multifamily apartments, possibly 16–20 units where the sanctuary stands, but that no formal development plan had been submitted and that design review must clear demolition before next steps.

Council and staff discussed whether the city or local historic groups could fund removal of the bells or build a freestanding tower to house refurbished bells. Council members suggested applying discretionary grant funds or “Freeze” funding (as discussed at the meeting) could be options, but no formal funding decision or commitment was made during the session.

Next steps identified by the Port Authority: continue the insurance appeal, complete the environmental survey, pursue the design review demolition permit, secure safe removal of any salvageable items if doing so can be done safely prior to demolition, and pursue redevelopment planning once demolition is permitted.

Rangelak asked anyone interested in salvaging items to contact the Port Authority so removals can be coordinated safely prior to demolition.