Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Landscape Clearing topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Case continued after condo association disputes city’s tally of cleared trees at Telecom Drive site

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The board continued a case about tree and landscape clearing at 13224 Telecom Drive after City Arborist and staff identified missing trees and a large limb removal; the condo association president said some removals may have been for safety and that responsibility needs more investigation. The hearing was continued to June 11, 2025.

Case number 25‑1487: The Municipal Code Enforcement Board continued to June 11, 2025, a dispute over tree and landscape clearing at 13224 Telecom Drive after city staff presented photographs showing the eastern buffer was opened and a large limb (approximately 18–20 inches) removed from a rear live oak.

City evidence and arborist assessment: Code Compliance Officer Laurie Smith said photographs from April 10 showed landscape clearing on the east side of the property and that stumps and plant material were removed; she submitted those photos into the record. City Arborist Joe Ferris said he found that stumps were gone by the time staff inspected and that a large limb—"probably close to 18 inches, 20 inches in size"—had been removed and would have required a permit. Ferris also presented historical imagery from Google Street View showing what the buffer had looked like before the clearing and said five mature trees shown in the earlier imagery were no longer present.

Respondent and association response: Sudhir Vemuri, president of the Telecom Commercial Park Condo Association, testified he receives regular tenant requests to improve visibility and that he had not personally authorized removal of mature trees. He said tenants removed some shrubs by contract but denied authorizing removal of the mature trees shown missing in the city's images; he also told the board that one tree had been removed by a tenant because it appeared to be failing and posed an immediate hazard. The condo association president said he would investigate who ordered or performed the larger removals.

Why the board continued the case: The board discussed evidence that some missing street‑side trees might fall outside the condo association’s parcel, and members asked staff to confirm property lines and ownership before imposing replacement requirements. Board members cited the need to verify which trees were removed from the association’s property, whether the removals predated the tenants’ work and whether any hurricane damage or other causes could explain missing trees. Given those open questions, the board continued the matter to the next meeting to allow city staff and the respondents to gather additional documentation, including surveys, permits and before/after imagery.

Next steps: The board requested the city provide additional photographs, confirm permit records and review property lines; the condo association said it would investigate and bring any contracts or evidence of who contracted removals. The board set the continued hearing for June 11, 2025.