Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Procurement Yard Abatement topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council rejects yard‑abatement bids, directs staff to rebid after concerns over pricing and paperwork

3228883 · May 6, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After questioning large per‑lot charges and missing bid documentation, University Heights council voted to reject all yard‑abatement bids for the 2025 season and asked staff to reissue the solicitation and contact prior contractors directly.

University Heights City Council on Monday voted to reject all bids for the 2025 yard‑abatement (lawn cutting/landscaping) contract and directed staff to reissue the request for proposals after members raised concerns about high per‑lot prices and missing documentation from bidders.

City staff had recommended awarding the contract to Levator Landscaping Construction LLC after receiving four bids. Council members questioned why some previously used contractors either submitted inconsistent paperwork or failed to include required references and equipment lists. Several council members said the low bid from Top Level Lawn Service LLC was disqualified for inconsistent paperwork and another bidder, Real and Quality, failed to supply required documentation.

Councilmember Miss Davis moved to reject the bids and direct the director to open a new bidding process; the motion passed on the council floor. Council members asked staff to actively solicit prior contractors who had performed well and to consider reissuing the request earlier in the year in future seasons so contractors have more lead time.

What council questioned: Several members said they were uncomfortable authorizing contractors to charge residents more than $100 per lot for a single cut under the city's enforcement program. One councilmember said residents could be billed $110 to $160 per lot under the lowest and highest bids received; members asked staff to confirm whether those per‑lot charges were comparable to prior years and to check how the contractor pricing interacts with the city's existing fine structure.

Staff response and next steps: The director said he would contact prior contractors directly, reissue the bid, and return to council with additional bids and recommended changes. The council recorded a motion to reject the current submissions and to have staff re‑advertise the contract with outreach to known vendors; staff said the bid timetable cannot be extended retroactively, which is why a re‑bid is required.

The council did not approve any individual contractor at the meeting and instructed staff to return with a new procurement packet and recommendations.