Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Homelessness Shelter topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council rejects resolution to extend Johnson Street shelter; debate focuses on funding priorities and housing sprint
Summary
A proposed resolution to keep the Johnson Street shelter at full capacity and direct the mayor to fund shelter space and any shortfall in a community "housing sprint" failed 2-9 after lengthy council debate about budget sources, program outcomes and public responsibility.
Get email alerts on the Homelessness Shelter topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
A council motion to adopt a resolution directing the city to continue Johnson Street shelter operations at full capacity and to backstop any remaining funding gap for a city-sponsored "housing sprint" failed on May 5 by a 2-9 vote.
Councilors Daniel Carlino and Kristin Jordan sponsored the referral asking administration to retain shelter capacity for another year (or identify an alternative site) and to fund any remainder of a $400,000 housing sprint if private and partner fundraising did not meet the goal. Sponsors said the measure was meant to ensure shelter capacity while the city pursues alternatives and to focus budget priorities on shelter and housing rather than code enforcement.
Council debate ran more than an hour. Sponsors argued the city can and should reallocate existing budget items or remittance dollars to fund the shelter and emphasized the human impact of closing the site. Councilors opposing the resolution said staff and the mayor had already examined the city budget and concluded the city lacked a sustainable funding source to operate a permanent replacement; opponents repeated that much of the budget lines cited by sponsors were dedicated funds or come from sources not eligible for repurposing, notably nearly $980,000 coming from the Road and Park District that staff said cannot be used for shelter operations.
Mayor Andrea Davis and Chief Administrative Officer Dale Bickle explained that approximately $1.2 million in city funding is allocated to homelessness-related work but that $980,053 of that sum is tied to the Road and Park District and not available for shelter operations. Davis said roughly $300,000 represents the housed/homelessness staff budget outside those restricted funds; she added that the amount sponsors had compiled in an afternoon spreadsheet did not reflect how some funds are restricted or already assigned to other programs.
Discussion also covered the "housing sprint," a short-term program working with providers and landlords to place unhoused residents into housing; sponsors said the sprint could not reasonably house the entire shelter population and urged funding to avoid displacing people into the street. Mayor Davis and staff described the sprint as part of a broader community strategy (On Our Way Home) that includes coordinated entry, the built-for-0 approach and partnerships with service providers.
Public commenters included shelter staff who described the Johnson Street shelter as a place of community and dignity for guests and staff; advocates warned that closing the shelter without an operational replacement risked forcing vulnerable people into unsafe public spaces. Supporters and opponents of the resolution emphasized differing priorities: some councilors said the city must invest upstream in housing and services; others said immediate shelter capacity remains necessary.
The final roll call: 2 yes (Councilors Carlino, Jordan), 9 no. The motion failed.
Ending: The mayor said staff would continue to implement the city's homelessness strategy and update council and the public on the housing sprint; sponsors signaled intent to continue seeking alternatives and to press budget questions in future discussions.

