Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Glenwood Redevelopment topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

CRA negotiating with Sankofa group for Glenwood Town Center; community members urge protections for historic neighborhood

3204343 · May 6, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Panama City CRA is negotiating a proposal from the Sankofa Group to develop a grocery, apartments and town homes at 15th Street and MLK; community speakers urged affordable homeownership and protection of Glenwood's history. Staff expects a formal proposal at the CRA meeting on June 3.

The Panama City Community Redevelopment Agency is negotiating with the Sankofa Group on a proposed Glenwood Town Center development at 15th Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, staff said May 6. The CRA listed a $400,000 budget for the project and reported $376,489.59 spent to acquire parcels so far.

Why it matters: the parcels are in a historically underserved neighborhood and residents told the CRA they want housing that allows longtime community members to return — specifically new homes rather than apartments — and safeguards for the neighborhood’s historical character.

At the meeting, Michelle Bryant of East Ninth Street told the board she had submitted a letter and urged the CRA to prioritize “new homes in Glenwood. Not apartments, not town homes,” and to preserve local small businesses. Brenda Lewis Williams, speaking later, said community garden supporters worry the MLK/15th project could negatively affect the Henry Davis Park garden and said Dover-Caol (Dover-Cool/Dover Coal in packet) community input has not been reflected in proposals.

Commissioner Lucas pushed back on recent news coverage, saying the station “got it wrong” and that no deal is finalized. “I did not tell them that it was a done deal. It is not,” Lucas said, adding the Sankofa presentation so far is an initial concept and staff expect a more detailed proposal in advance of the June 3 CRA meeting.

Staff described the current status as negotiation and study: Sankofa presented initial ideas for a grocery, apartments and town homes; staff said the developer may seek options that include purchase, lease or other agreements with CRA-owned parcels. Staff said no cash payments to the developer have been made to date and that any final arrangement would return to the CRA for review and direction.

Timeline and next steps: staff said a draft proposal was recently received and staff and the city attorney will review it this week; the CRA will discuss a complete proposal at its June 3 meeting. Staff did not present a construction or financing timeline, but noted the presentation packet indicated the development would likely proceed in multiple phases over months or years.

Community engagement and constraints: board members and staff repeatedly said the process will include further community meetings during negotiations and that the board will weigh community input before approving any transaction. Speakers and several board members pressed for explicit protections for historical character and for prioritizing homeownership options for displaced or longtime residents.

The discussion did not include a vote or approval of a contract. Staff signaled a return to the CRA on June 3 with a more developed proposal for board review and possible direction.