Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Private School Use topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Tuscaloosa ZBA continues review of Primer Micro Schools request for University Boulevard site
Summary
The Tuscaloosa Zoning Board of Adjustments on April 28 continued consideration of a special-exception request from Spark Learning Inc., d/b/a Primer Micro Schools, to operate a private K–8 school at 3325 University Boulevard East.
Get email alerts on the Private School Use topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Tuscaloosa Zoning Board of Adjustments on April 28 continued consideration of a special-exception request from Spark Learning Inc., d/b/a Primer Micro Schools, to operate a private K–8 school at 3325 University Boulevard East.
The petition, first presented to the board by staff, described a plan to renovate the site’s first floor to serve students during morning-to-evening hours and to eventually house more students than the developer initially said. At the hearing, Primer’s local manager said the operator had reduced its internal enrollment cap to 90 students and would open with fewer pupils. Staff materials said the operation would initially serve 75 students and could ultimately house up to 180; the petitioner told the board it now plans a 90-student cap, operating roughly 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., with about 55–56 parking spaces and an outdoor playground at the rear to be reviewed during permitting.
The application drew sustained public concern about traffic and safety along University Boulevard East. Resident Patrick Frantom, who identified himself as a professional educator living in nearby Druid Hills, urged the board to apply the same standards it uses for other traffic-sensitive special exceptions. He warned that drop-off and pick-up could worsen an already congested, curved section of University Boulevard and create safety problems at peak times. Amanda Mokey, another nearby resident, told the board the public had limited notice of changes to the proposal and said the application materials before the board differed from the plan the petitioner described at the hearing.
Petitioner representatives said they have enrolled families and will pursue a traffic study and permitting reviews. Attorney Charlie Beavers, speaking for the applicant, asked the board to approve the use subject to two conditions: a cap of 90 students and submittal of a traffic report acceptable to city staff before building permits are issued. Beavers told the board his team had engaged a traffic consultant and was prepared to provide a pickup/drop-off plan if required.
Board members repeatedly focused on traffic and the need for clearer plans and documentation before granting a special exception. Several members asked that the petitioner return with a traffic study and a more detailed site plan showing how pickup and drop-off would be handled. The board voted to continue the petition to the next monthly meeting so staff could review a traffic analysis and the petitioner could supply clarified plans.
Speakers on record included the petitioner and several neighborhood residents; petitioner Steven Bridgers said, “We have 27 families that are committed so far to bring their kids to the school.” Attorney Charlie Beavers asked the board to “consider approving a condition on no more than 90” students while the traffic study is completed. Public commenters cited traffic, sight-line and windowless-classroom concerns and questioned whether the community had adequate notice of a changed plan.
The board took no final vote on the special exception; the petition was continued to the board’s next monthly meeting so staff can review a traffic report to the board’s satisfaction and the petitioner can provide revised site and building plans.

