Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Shootings And Police Response topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Mobile City police brief council on recent park and shopping-lot shootings; FBI involved in Publix case
Summary
Deputy Chief Jones told the council investigators are working three separate shootings — at Langan Park, Sage Park (one fatality) and a Publix parking lot — and described increased patrols, traffic enforcement and community walk-and-talks; the FBI is assisting in the Publix robbery-shooting case.
Get email alerts on the Shootings And Police Response topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Mobile City police briefed the council on multiple shootings and related public-safety responses during the meeting on April 29, reporting three separate incidents under investigation and steps officers have taken to increase visible patrols.
Deputy Chief Jones summarized the incidents in chronological order. He said an early-morning shooting at Langan Park in March involved a group of juveniles, possibly school-aged, who were at the park while school was in session; investigators are canvassing witnesses and await forensic results. “Investigators received information from various sources which pointed out to potential persons of interest,” Jones said.
Jones said the most serious incident was a shooting at a basketball court in Sage Park on April 17 in which two victims — one male and one female — were transported to different hospitals and the female victim later died. He said a large crowd had gathered for basketball games and “several opposing members confronted one another, and gunfire ensued.” Jones said major-crimes investigators were conducting targeted interviews and follow-up work.
A third incident on April 19 at a Publix parking lot on Florida Street involved a female victim who was shot during what officers described as a robbery; an officer detained a person matching a description en route and later interviewed and arrested that individual after the person was cleared medically. Jones said the FBI is involved because of elements of the robbery case.
Police described enforcement and community-engagement measures. Jones said the department has increased directed patrols in parks and shopping areas, emphasized park closing enforcement, conducted traffic-enforcement operations to increase officer presence and launched “walk-and-talk” door‑knock outreach by precinct commanders. An MPD speaker noted that increased visible patrols and traffic operations are intended to raise community presence and reassure residents.
Council members asked investigative and tactical questions: whether shell casings matched previous incidents (Jones said no matches so far) and whether juveniles came from the same schools (Jones said initial investigation pointed to youth from different schools, not yet confirmed). Several council members urged continued community policing and asked that officers coordinate neighborhood walk-and-talk schedules with council offices.
Deputy Chief Jones said the investigations are active and ongoing; no arrests or indictments were announced for the Sage Park shooting at the time of the briefing. Police also described arrests in two other incidents (a person arrested after firing a weapon at the Botanical Gardens area and an arrest following the Publix incident) and said one suspect was medically evaluated before arrest in the Publix case.
Ending: Police emphasized ongoing investigations and increased patrols; council members requested continued updates and reiterated interest in cooperative community patrols and resources such as cameras and personnel.

