Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Transportation Noise topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

North Charleston resident urges council to finish decades-old noise wall project

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A Northwoods Estates resident told council she has sought a sound barrier along I-26 since 1998 and asked the city to explain what remains to be done to complete the project.

Kathy Robertson, a Northwoods Estates resident, told the City Council on April 24 that neighbors have sought a noise barrier along Interstate 26 since 1998 and asked what steps remain to secure the wall.

Robertson said she sent an email to staff weeks earlier and has not received a response, and she described the issue as a long-standing quality-of-life concern for homeowners whose backyards abut the interstate.

Mayor Burgess told Robertson he would meet with her after the meeting and have staff research the project's history and what transpired under previous administrations. Robertson said a noise study completed in 1998 had already supported the need for a wall and that residents "don't need a new noise study" but rather a completed wall. The mayor and council pledged to follow up and provide information to Robertson following that meeting.

Her remarks were part of the meeting's public-comment period and did not prompt a formal vote or action during the session; council members asked staff to follow up with the resident.