Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council denies appeal for 3-story, 10-unit townhouse project at 833 N. Brent/Grand; opponents cited parking and safety

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The council voted to deny an applicant appeal and uphold the Planning and Preservation Commission’s denial of Site Plan Review 2024001 for a three-story, 10-unit townhouse project at 833 North Brent Boulevard; nearby residents raised concerns about parking, air quality and overcrowding.

The San Fernando City Council on April 21 denied an appeal by the applicant Midland Contractors Inc. and upheld the Planning and Preservation Commission’s denial of Site Plan Review 2024001, which sought approval for a three-story, 10-unit townhouse-style multifamily development at 833 North Brent Boulevard with two attached accessory dwelling units.

Staff background: City planning staff said the council previously reviewed the item twice and gave staff direction to bring back additional conditions. Staff revised Condition 44 to require submission of a template lease agreement and a recorded covenant for each unit to the planning division to verify that garages would be kept available to park two cars at all times. Staff recommended approving an alternate resolution (attachment B) overturning the commission denial; the public hearing was continued from previous meetings to allow further study.

Public testimony: Dozens of neighbors spoke against the project during the public hearing, citing safety, parking shortages, traffic and local air quality. Former Planning Commissioner Sylvia Balin, who said she voted to deny the project at the Planning Commission, told the council she remained opposed because of health and safety concerns and urged the council to reject the appeal. Other residents described increased vandalism, overcrowded streets and insufficient parking and asked the council to protect neighborhood character.

Applicant response: The applicant’s representative, identified in the record as Mr. Portovi for Midland Contractors, declined to make further comment at the hearing.

Council action and vote: Councilmember (motion maker not specified) moved to adopt Resolution 83 73 to deny the appeal and uphold the Planning and Preservation Commission’s denial of the site plan; the motion was seconded. Roll-call votes recorded Councilmember Patty Lopez — yes; Councilmember Victoria Garcia — yes; Councilmember Joe Fajardo — absent; Vice Mayor Maria Solorio — no; Mayor Mary Mendoza — yes. The motion passed 3–1 with one absence.

What happens next: With the council upholding the commission’s denial, the applicant may pursue whatever administrative or legal remedies are available under city procedures. Opponents called the vote a victory for neighborhood safety; proponents of housing development have argued the city needs more housing supply, but that argument did not carry the council on this application.

Context: The agenda item was part of a continuation public hearing; council members said the decision reflects both the commission’s earlier concerns and additional conditions the council had asked staff to explore. The record shows the council considered an alternative resolution but ultimately voted to deny the appeal and maintain the commission’s denial.