Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Traffic Calming topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Madison Board authorizes removal of speed bumps on East First Street after neighborhood debate

3077106 · April 22, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Board of Public Works and Safety voted April 21 to remove two speed bumps on East First Street following public comment and staff review. Supporters cited reduced traffic since a bridge detour ended; opponents warned of pedestrian safety risks on a steep, partially blind hill.

The Madison Board of Public Works and Safety on April 21 authorized removal of two speed bumps on East First Street after hearing more than two dozen minutes of public comment and discussion among board members.

The decision affects two speed bumps located on East First Street between Harrison Street and Saint Michael Street in the Scott's Garden neighborhood. The board approved a motion to remove the devices by roll call after public speakers and the police chief described competing safety and operational concerns.

Residents who opposed removal told the board the speed bumps slow vehicles on a steep, blind section of road and protect pedestrians and people exiting driveways. "They're making a big mistake if you remove these speed bumps," said Charles Bursch, a Scott's Garden resident at 204 Saint Michael's Avenue. Patrick Tevinone, who canvassed the block, said, "Since the last meeting, I've heard from, I believe, 4 residents down in that area who would like to see the speed bumps remain." Jan Vatres, who lives at the corner of Second and Baltimore, urged the board to keep the bump behind the Fairfield Inn, saying, "it is a very steep hill... otherwise, they will hurt their car."

Police Chief Scudder told the board he reviewed the area and comparable local streets and would not recommend placing new speed bumps on side streets. "I would not make a recommendation to add speed bumps onto that area east first if they were not already existing," he said, and urged the city to prioritize sidewalk repairs to move pedestrians off the roadway. Several residents and board members noted the Fairfield Inn has increased pedestrian and vehicle activity on the block.

Mayor Steinhardt framed the decision as one of policy and consistency: "From a policy perspective, we would not install speed bumps," he said, noting other traffic-control alternatives such as stop signs or speed humps and that the bumps were originally installed as a detour measure during bridge construction. Board members also noted one of the two bumps is partially damaged and already missing its center section; Patrick Tevinal said the easternmost bump has "already been damaged and removed from the street" in its middle portion.

After discussion, Mayor Steinhardt moved to authorize removal of the speed bumps on East First Street, a motion seconded by Boardmember Bob Courtney. The board called roll; Carl Eaglin, Bob Courtney and Dave Carlo voted yes. The motion carried.

The board did not set a specific removal date during the meeting. Several residents urged the city to pair any changes with sidewalk repairs or other pedestrian-safety investments; Chief Scudder and other board members said sidewalk condition and ongoing pedestrian improvements are being reviewed as part of broader sidewalk asset management and crosswalk safety work.

The petition that prompted the review was signed by 14 East First Street residents asking the city to remove the bumps; board members heard counter-comments from residents who said they and their neighbors want the bumps left in place. The item had been tabled previously and returned for the board's action after the petition was submitted.