Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Education Funding topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

State superintendent warns sudden federal change threatens $137 million in pandemic school funds

3041532 · April 17, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Mississippi Department of Education officials told the State Board of Education that a U.S. Department of Education change to ESSER late-liquidation authority could leave districts with about $137 million in at-risk spending, including roughly $33 million already paid by the state and about $89.4 million on district books.

Mississippi State Superintendent Dr. Michael Evans told the State Board of Education on April 17 that the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) had curtailed a previously granted extension for late liquidation of ESSER (Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief) funds, putting roughly $137 million of state and district spending at risk.

The superintendent said the department immediately began contacting districts and other officials after an April notification and is working to request reinstatement of the late-liquidation period. “We originally thought it was in the number of a 80,000,000, but it's a hundred and $37,000,211,” Dr. Evans said during the board meeting, adding that about $33 million represents funds the Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) has already distributed and $89,400,000 is on local districts’ books.

Board Chair Mr. East and other members asked whether the department has coordinated with the state’s congressional delegation and federal partners. Dr. Evans said the agency has sought letters of support and been in touch with the governor’s office, attorneys general, congressional offices and national organizations, and that further decisions from USDE were expected within days. “We've reached out to get letters of support for our submission of the request for extending the extended liquidation period,” he said.

Dr. Evans told the board that roughly 68 districts are affected and that the at-risk funds are split among categories: approximately $40 million of the funds are tied up in finalizing construction projects and the remainder supports activities such as learning-loss interventions and counseling. He noted $15 million is associated with the governor’s office for other work. The superintendent said MDE and districts had previously been granted permission to carry ongoing projects through 2026 and that the sudden change arrived without implementation guidance, prompting the department to pause contracting terminations as a precaution.

Board members and staff discussed operational consequences, including contract termination risks for construction work and the practical problem that many federal programs operate on a reimbursement basis: districts spend locally, request reimbursement from MDE, and MDE requests reimbursement from USDE. Dr. Evans described the threat to construction projects as particularly acute because those contracts are difficult to unwind without significant cost.

The superintendent also told the board the agency received a separate USDE compliance letter relating to anti-discrimination obligations (Title VI), and that MDE had created a process for districts to submit certifications to the state so MDE can forward a consolidated package to USDE. He emphasized the department’s view that state districts “did absolutely nothing wrong” and that MDE had followed prior guidance when implementing ESSER-funded projects.

The board did not take formal action on the ESSER matter during the meeting; members asked for continued outreach and for regular updates to be provided to districts and the board while MDE pursues federal clarification.

Ending: Board members were told the department expects additional federal guidance soon and asked staff to keep districts informed. The superintendent said the department is prioritizing support for finalizing construction projects should funds not be fully restored.