Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the School Policy Restrooms topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Parents and residents clash over district locker-room and classroom symbolism policies at San Marcos Unified meeting

2617471 ยท March 14, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

More than a dozen public commenters urged the San Marcos Unified School District to revise its "Safe Spaces for All Children" resolution and related practices on restroom and locker-room access, while other speakers defended the district's inclusive policy. Remarks produced sharp debate but no board action at the March 13 meeting.

Dozens of parents, community members and students pressed the San Marcos Unified School District board on March 13 about district policy on restroom and locker-room access for transgender students and classroom displays such as LGBTQ flags.

The exchange occurred during the public-comment period at the district's regular board meeting as more than a dozen speakers addressed the same general topic. Speakers who oppose the district policy said it put girls' privacy and safety at risk; other speakers said the policy protects vulnerable students and helps them attend school.

The controversy matters because several speakers argued the district is at legal risk and urged the board to amend its policy. Rosie Higuera told the board she had filed complaints and accused district leaders of violating Title IX, saying parents hope the district "change your policy and you [will] be on the side of safety and protecting all students, especially our vulnerable girls." Other speakers described specific incidents they said illustrated the risk: Tony Crane said a middle-school girl was forced to undress in front of another student she described as male, and the experience left the girl anxious and avoiding class.

Supporters of the board's resolution defended the policy as necessary to keep all students in school. Paul Mendoza, who identified himself as a parent, thanked the board for backing LGBTQ and undocumented students and said the policy "isn't just about inclusion. It's about creating an environment where all students can thrive academically." Alondra Alvarez, a resident, cited research and said trans youth are more often victims of bullying and that the district's policy is meant to reduce that harm.

Board members did not take a formal action on the topic at the meeting. The board's public-comment procedures and the Brown Act limit what board members may say in response; several board members later noted they would work on clearer communication with families. One board member said the controversy "takes away from the amazing things that are happening in our schools" and asked staff to provide a report on classroom flag/display policy and the district's approach to controversial issues.

The meeting record shows no change to district policy on March 13. The board previously adopted a resolution discussed by several speakers during public comment; tonight's remarks were appeals for revision or enforcement, not formal proposals the board placed on the agenda.

Community reaction remained sharply divided by the end of the comment period, with several speakers urging legal complaints to federal entities and others urging the board to maintain inclusive practices.

Board follow-up: Board members requested staff research and a report back on classroom display rules and how the district handles controversial topics and communications; no timetable was given during the meeting.