Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the School District Settlement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Orland Park board withdraws multi-year settlement offer to School Districts 135 and 230 after four years of negotiations
Summary
Trustees voted to pull a standing multi-year package of proposed investments and TIF restructuring offered to School Districts 135 and 230 after an extended public presentation outlining four years of offers, counteroffers and threatened litigation.
Get email alerts on the School District Settlement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Village of Orland Park Board of Trustees voted unanimously Feb. 17 to withdraw a multi-part settlement offer that the village had been negotiating with School Districts 135 and 230 for roughly four years.
Why it matters: The package included direct investments in the village sports complex, transfer of land for school access, restructured TIF revenue sharing and multi-year payments to the districts. Withdrawing the offer removes a potential avenue the village had proposed to resolve long-standing disagreements over TIF treatment and use of village-owned facilities.
What the board discussed
Staff and trustees reviewed a timeline of negotiations beginning in February 2021. The village’s offers over multiple rounds included:
- Investment of approximately $3.2 million in ball diamonds and fields at the John Humphrey complex; - Transfer of land to District 135 to accommodate a second driveway access at Park School and related engineering work; - Sharing impact-fee revenue through an intergovernmental agreement; - Restructuring the Main Street Triangle TIF to remove or reallocate 9750 (the apartment complex) so that districts would receive approximately $4.3 million from that TIF under earlier proposals; and - A 2024 proposal offering $150,000 per year for five years to each district in exchange for nonobjection to a 12-year extension of a proposed Downtown TIF and support for other potential TIFs, plus continued village investment in the John Humphrey fields.
Trustees characterized the proposals as substantial and said the offers were repeatedly declined by the districts. Board presenters said District 135 proceeded with an approximately $17 million school expansion instead of accepting a village offer to use the former cultural arts center property for a consolidated preschool program; the village’s presentation contrasted the district’s $17 million project cost against an estimated $6 million cost to achieve similar outcomes at the cultural center.
Board members recounted that in February 2024 School District 135 — and counsel representing the districts — threatened litigation seeking roughly $600,000 related to the matter. The village’s presenters said District 135 later requested impact-fee revenue and removal of the apartment at 9750 from the Main Street Triangle TIF; District 230 indicated it might be willing to discuss the village’s proposals.
Why trustees pulled the offer
After the public presentation, several trustees said they had given the districts multiple opportunities to respond across four years and described the districts’ rejections and litigation threats as unacceptable. One trustee recommended retracting the offer and revisiting the question after upcoming school-board elections in hopes of negotiating with new district leadership. The board then voted to withdraw the standing offer and to have staff take direction consistent with that motion.
The board’s motion and vote
A motion to reject the schools’ offer and pull the village’s proposals from the table was moved and then approved by recorded roll call with all trustees voting aye.
What the village said about tradeoffs and TIFs
Village presenters described the policy intent as preserving local recreation assets and supporting economic development that the village maintains will require TIF assistance to be viable. They said the proposed 12-year TIF extension at the former Andrew Corporation site would permit an age-restricted development that would generate TIF revenue to pay for cleanup and infrastructure such as a 151st Street grade crossing. Staff noted that without the extended TIF term, a larger, market-rate development might be required to cover cleanup costs — which would likely yield more students for local schools and different taxing outcomes.
Next steps and context
Trustees directed staff to act in accordance with the motion to withdraw the offer. Board members said they may revisit negotiations with school districts after elections, and staff will report back if any new proposals or additional legal steps are recommended. The discussion was held in public despite legal counsel acknowledging the matter could be discussed in executive session; trustees said they preferred the public discussion so residents could hear the background and the latest offer.

