Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Rutherford Boulevard Row topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Staff updates council on Rutherford Boulevard right‑of‑way acquisitions, negotiations with Swanson Properties
Summary
City staff reported completed environmental permitting, partial right‑of‑way acquisitions and ongoing negotiations with Swanson Properties; staff presented cost estimates and a proposed developer agreement term sheet.
Get email alerts on the Rutherford Boulevard Row topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — City staff provided an update March 6 on right‑of‑way acquisition for the Rutherford Boulevard extension, reporting completed environmental permitting and ongoing negotiations with multiple parcel owners, including Swanson Properties, which owns a large area needed on the west side of I‑24.
The project would extend West Rutherford Boulevard to Warrior Drive and include a northern extension to Rutledge Way. Staff said environmental permitting is complete and that right‑of‑way acquisition has been active for several months: two parcels marked in the project rendering have been acquired and two others east of the interstate are in active negotiations.
Staff outlined cost estimates related to required site improvements on Swanson property: an appraisal of the right‑of‑way and easements was reported as $2.6 million; staff said approximately 60,000 cubic yards of fill will be required and that three drainage culverts must be installed, with the recent estimate for shot‑rock fill and culvert work at about $3.25 million. The city’s preliminary proposal to Swanson Properties would pay for the improved right‑of‑way — including placement of fill and culverts — in the amount of $2.85 million. Staff characterized those figures as estimates and said the culvert estimate had been added only within the prior week.
Under the described developer agreement terms, the developer would perform the earthwork and install drainage pipes, after which the developer would sell the property necessary for the right‑of‑way and easements to the city for the proposed $2.85 million; the city would obtain environmental permits, provide required city permits, perform geotechnical testing and provide final acceptance once work meets city standards.
Staff emphasized the discussions with Swanson were ongoing and that a full developer agreement would be returned to council for approval once details are finalized. No action was taken at the March 6 meeting; the presentation was informational.
What was clarified during the update
- Environmental permitting for the project is complete.
- Two parcels needed for the project have been acquired; negotiations are active on two additional parcels east of the interstate.
- The west‑side parcels and much of the required right‑of‑way are owned by Swanson Properties; staff said they have worked with Mr. Swanson on road location to balance future development needs and bridge alignment.
What the record does not show
The transcript gives estimated dollar amounts and quantities but notes the culvert estimate and some engineering work were still in progress; staff said they would return with a full agreement when negotiations conclude.

