Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Code Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council orders demolition of fire-damaged house at 617 South Blount Street after owner delays
Summary
After repeated delays in securing repair permits following an August 2023 fire, council voted to move forward with demolition of the fire-damaged property at 617 South Blount Street; staff reported plumbing and building permits were recently pulled but council chose demolition.
Get email alerts on the Code Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Raleigh City Council on March 11 voted to proceed with demolition of a fire-damaged house at 617 South Blount Street after staff said the owner had not completed required repairs or obtained permits for an extended period following an August 2023 fire.
Bryce Abernathy (Housing and Neighborhoods Code Enforcement) gave a brief update: staff opened a minimum-housing case after required permits had not been pulled. Abernathy said the owner had recently applied for a plumbing permit and earlier applied for a building permit; staff reported the owner had hired an electrical contractor and was expected to apply for an electrical permit. Councilors and staff said the recent permit activity represented slow movement but not sufficient progress; one councilor moved to proceed with demolition and the motion passed.
Councilor(s) who had contacted neighborhood organizations earlier indicated attempts to reach the owner had been unsuccessful; staff said neighborhood contacts had tried to reach the owner without results. With the demolition authorization, staff will proceed with next steps under the city’s minimum-housing code procedures.

