Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Housing Complaints topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City council continues nuisance-petition hearing for Fort Maywood Terrace to March 4 after homeowner illness and neighbor comments
Summary
A petition to determine the property at Fort Maywood Terrace a nuisance under Mass. General Laws Chapter 139, Section 1, was opened for public hearing and continued to March 4 after the owner cited illness and neighbors described ongoing problems.
Get email alerts on the Housing Complaints topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
WOBURN, Mass. — The Woburn City Council opened a public hearing on whether the property at Fort Maywood Terrace constitutes a nuisance under Mass. Gen. Laws Chapter 139, Section 1, and continued the matter to March 4 after the owner of one property involved reported illness and neighbors asked to speak.
Councilor Boehm, who identified the petition as Councilor Sperone’s, said a communication had been received from the owner of 4 Maywood Terrace stating she was unwell and unable to attend. Boehm said neighbors had also submitted emails and that several residents wished to speak about ongoing issues at the property. "At the end of the day, when somebody is unwell, we would offer them a little grace," Boehm said and proposed continuing the hearing.
Neighbors described a range of problems they said remained unresolved and urged the council to consider working with police, fire and housing resources if the owner did not act. "The neighbors in this neighborhood feel terrorized," Boehm said in summarizing community concern, and he warned the council may proceed toward declaring the property a nuisance if conditions do not improve.
After opening the public hearing and allowing comments, the council voted to continue the hearing to March 4 to allow the owner to appear and to give neighbors an opportunity to present evidence.
Why it matters: A nuisance determination under Chapter 139 can trigger municipal enforcement actions and coordinate police, fire and housing authorities; neighbors reported safety and habitability concerns and asked the council to press the owner for remediation.
What’s next: The council will resume the public hearing March 4, when neighbors and the property owner are expected to appear.

