Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Juvenile Justice topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

DHS reports expanded capacity for adjudicated youth after Philadelphia surge; new treatment unit opening

2486007 · February 28, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Secretary Arkoosh said DHS increased secure-bed capacity after a 2023 Philadelphia surge in adjudicated youth. She said Philadelphia Juvenile Justice Center census has been below capacity for several months and that the Southeast Treatment Unit is operating and will expand.

In response to questions from the House Appropriations Committee, Department of Human Services Secretary Dr. Valerie Arkoosh said the department expanded secure-bed capacity and services after Philadelphia judges began adjudicating youth to longer commitments, which had previously led to crowding.

Why it matters: Counties are generally responsible for pre‑adjudication detention, and state facilities serve youth adjudicated to state commitment. Arkoosh said changes in Philadelphia’s adjudication practices — longer commitments and placements until age 20 — contributed to higher census and prompted DHS to open additional capacity and services.

Arkoosh said Philadelphia Juvenile Justice Center’s census has been below its licensed capacity for several months and that DHS opened a Southeast Treatment Unit in July 2024, which currently serves about 25 youth with additional capacity coming online in the following months.

Ending: The department said it will continue expanding capacity and invest in prevention and diversion programs to reduce youth justice involvement and emphasized long‑term goals of reducing reliance on secure placement.