Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Residential Development topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Commission defers Briarwood Townhome SP after residents raise traffic, flooding and connectivity concerns
Summary
The commission deferred a request for 84 townhomes (rezoning from RS‑10 to SP) for two meetings, asking the applicant to hold a community meeting, reexamine the driveway location and Oakwood connection, and provide more detail on how the proposal meets adopted policy and addresses traffic and stormwater concerns.
Get email alerts on the Residential Development topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Metropolitan Planning Commission on Feb. 27 voted to defer for two meetings a proposed specific‑plan rezoning to permit 84 townhomes on a site served from Jones Avenue.
Dustin Shane, a planner with Metro staff, described the plan as 84 townhomes at about 10 units per acre, with private drives, pedestrian connections to Oakwood Park, and off‑site transportation improvements including bus stop upgrades and a crosswalk. Shane said NDOT reviewed traffic separation issues and staff included a condition to change multiple labeled rights‑of‑way on the plan to private drives.
Kevin Gangwer, representing the developer, said the project includes off‑site WeGo bus stop improvements and ADA crosswalks and that outreach knocked on more than 50 homes. He asked the commission for support.
Opponents and nearby residents said they had not received notice, described repeated vehicle collisions on nearby curved, narrow roads and expressed concerns about an adjacent school and pedestrian safety. Dr. Gabriel Hood, a resident who abuts the site, urged rejection, saying the plan did not address a steep blind curve at the proposed single entrance and predicted a large increase in vehicle traffic. “I respectfully urge you to please reject, this proposal,” Dr. Hood said.
Opponents also raised flooding and stormwater risks from development near a FEMA‑designated flood hazard area; one speaker supplied videos of prior runoff and flooding. Residents asked for additional traffic safety analysis of Jones Avenue and further stormwater detail.
Staff and the applicant said a multimodal traffic analysis had been completed and reviewed by NDOT, and that the site would trigger stormwater and grading permit requirements at the final site plan that are intended to prevent increases to peak runoff.
After extended deliberation commissioners divided on whether the proposal met the neighborhood maintenance policy and on connectivity and driveway placement. Commissioners asked for a community meeting, additional detail on the development’s consistency with adopted policy, a reevaluation of the potential Oakwood Avenue extension, and a safety review of the proposed driveway separation from adjacent intersections. The commission then moved and passed a two‑meeting deferral to allow staff, applicant and community to address those items.
Next steps: The applicant will be asked to host a community meeting and supply the requested analyses before the commission again considers the SP.

