Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Maumee River Bridge Demolition topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents urge alternatives after ODOT signals full demolition of Maumee River bridge

2396283 · February 25, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A resident told the Waterville City Council that the Ohio Department of Transportation plans full removal of a historic Maumee River bridge, citing safety, cost and environmental concerns; residents and city officials said they are pursuing meetings and a requested delay while exploring cheaper preservation options.

Dave Weber, a Waterville resident who said he represents a local citizens group, told the City of Waterville Council on Feb. 24 that the Ohio Department of Transportation plans to remove an historic bridge over the Maumee River and that the agency gave three reasons for the action: safety, expense and environmental risk. "I asked why are you tearing the bridge down? They said three reasons were safety and expense and environment," Weber said.

Weber said ODOT’s planned demolition is budgeted at about $4,100,000 and that the agency is proceeding under the Section 106 review process for projects that affect historic resources. He described several lower-cost alternatives his group proposed — including structural blocks that would reinforce an arch for about $200,000 and other fixes he estimated at roughly $400,000 — and urged the city to press for preservation or a delay. "If there's planning and spending $4,000,000 to tear it down, the most expensive one was $400,000," he said.

Mayor Petrel said the city has been in contact with ODOT and that ODOT agreed to set another meeting. "I would like to think that we're trying to find some common ground," the mayor said, adding that the process appears to be working and officials should wait for the next meeting.

Municipal Administrator John Gochenauer told the council he had sent a letter to ODOT requesting a two-year delay. Council Member John Rosick asked whether a demolition date had been set; a city staff member said ODOT planned to put the project out to sealed bid on April 10 but that a demolition date had not been scheduled.

Weber said his group will follow up with ODOT staff named in correspondence and asked the council to confirm its support for seeking a delay and pursuing grants. He also suggested that a local purchase or a federal whistleblower process might be explored as ways to avert demolition or recover money if the bridge is preserved. City officials did not adopt a new resolution or take a formal vote at the meeting; they said they expected another meeting with ODOT within two weeks to continue discussions.

Why it matters: The bridge spans the Maumee River and has historic value to local residents; the city’s ability to influence the outcome is limited because ODOT controls the project and federal funding triggers Section 106 review. A full demolition would remove the structure entirely; residents and committee members asked the city to press ODOT for alternatives that they say would cost a fraction of the demolition estimate.

Context and next steps: City staff said ODOT will convene another meeting with local stakeholders; municipal staff previously sent a letter requesting a two-year delay. Residents said they plan additional outreach to ODOT staff named in an ODOT letter and to pursue grants or other funding options if the city supports those steps.

Ending: The council did not vote on the bridge at its Feb. 24 meeting. Residents and city officials said they expect further talks with ODOT and will report back when a follow-up meeting is scheduled.