Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Parks Recreation Youth Sports topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Parents, players urge council to reinstate city participation in Northern Utah All‑Star tournament

2375238 · February 21, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Layton parents and junior players urged the council to reconsider Park & Recreation staff’s decision to remove Layton teams from the Northern Utah All‑Star tournament and replace participation with July 4 exhibition games; council asked staff to revisit the communication and consider options.

Travis Green, a youth baseball coach, appeared with two players at the Feb. 20 meeting to ask the council to revisit Parks & Recreation staff’s recent decision not to register Layton teams for the Northern Utah All‑Star tournament and instead to offer an exhibition game on Liberty Day. Green told council the tournament extends seasons and provides higher competition for players unable to afford private competitive leagues.

Two players, Mike Young and Luke Harding, spoke in favor of the all‑star experience and said it improved skills, teamwork and motivation. Parks and Recreation staff (Alex) told the council the recreation division treats the event as an extra program that had been city‑sponsored by several cities and that staff decided to focus on core recreation programming; staff also cited recurring competitive pressures in the tournament environment as a factor.

Council members asked staff for more information and suggested further discussion at a work session; several council members said they were open to revisiting the decision for this summer or to improving communications so families know alternatives when registration opens.