Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Gerald Desmond Bridge topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Port of Long Beach says Gerald Desmond replacement progressing; oil-well relocations drove earlier cost increases
Summary
Port of Long Beach officials reported on the Gerald Desmond Bridge replacement project, describing design-build progress, utility and right-of-way clearances, oil-well abandonment work and a current budget of $1.263 billion with a previously reported funding gap tied largely to oil-field work.
Get email alerts on the Gerald Desmond Bridge topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Al Morrow, acting executive director of the Port of Long Beach, updated the Transportation Commission on the Gerald Desmond Bridge replacement on April 9, detailing construction progress, schedule and finances.
Morrow said the new cable-stay bridge will replace a 50-year-old structure with a vertical clearance increase from roughly 55 feet to about 205 feet to accommodate the newest large vessels. The design-build contractor team (SFI/SHIMIC/FCC/Impregilo) is mobilized, right of way has been cleared for the new alignment north of the existing bridge, and foundation work and low-approach construction are underway. Morrow said the contractor has driven deep piles for the high approaches and is proceeding with construction activities.
On cost and funding, Morrow reviewed the project budget history: an initial funding plan in 2010 estimated $960 million; the Port raised the program budget to $1.1 billion in 2013 (creating an earlier $140 million gap); by October 2013 the project budget rose to about $1.263 billion. Commissioners had noted a roughly $303 million increase between an earlier date and October 2013; Morrow attributed most overruns to extensive, unforeseen right-of-way work to relocate and re-abandon legacy oil wells and utilities. He said the port has nearly completed that work and expects the trend line of cost increase to flatten as foundation and structural work proceeds.
Morrow said the port's board has approved the $1.263 billion budget and that the port is seeking additional funding sources to close remaining shortfalls; if new funds are not secured, the port would consider delaying other projects. He said the schedule targets substantial completion in 2016 and that construction will produce thousands of short-term jobs over the remaining years of work.
On procurement and compliance, Morrow said some Buy America issues arose (primarily with Southern California Edison's procurement) and were mitigated by resequencing work and shifting items to later phases where Buy America compliance could be assured or where temporary installations were exempt. Morrow also described interagency coordination and a multi-agency traffic management plan to limit detours and impacts when future closures occur.
Ending: The port said major right-of-way and oil-well work is nearly complete, foundation and structural work has begun, the board-approved budget is $1.263 billion and additional funding is being sought to address remaining gaps; the port will continue coordination with Caltrans and stakeholders.

