Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Infrastructure Poles topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents press city and PG&E over overhead transmission poles in Tracy Hills; city says project is paused

2360567 · February 4, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Homeowners in Tracy Hills told the City Council on Feb. 4 they are alarmed by overhead high-voltage transmission poles installed close to backyard fences; city staff said PG&Ehas paused the project and will hold a town hall to answer residents' questions.

Homeowners in the Tracy Hills subdivision pressed the City of Tracy on Feb. 4, saying overhead high-voltage poles installed near back yards raise safety and fire-risk concerns. Dozens of residents turned out in person and online and asked the council and PG&E for a definitive resolution and for the developer to respond directly.

Residents said the poles are close to fences and yards, pointed to recent dry vegetation and wind events and said they were not given clear justification for why a short run of overhead poles was chosen while most of the larger development would be undergrounded. Several speakers asked whether the work had been halted and whether the developer or the utility would bear costs or responsibility.

Why it matters: Neighbors described possible fire risk, property impacts and worry about visual and safety effects on a completed neighborhood. The dispute involves private development decisions, PG&E construction plans and local permitting or easement issues tied to utility access.

What city staff and PG&E told residents

- Midori Lightwood, city manager, said city staff met with PG&E earlier in the day; staff offered to help facilitate a community town hall and to collect contact information from concerned residents to ensure PG&E can notify and meet with them. Lightwood said the city is trying to connect PG&E, the developer and affected homeowners for additional discussion.

- Eric Alvarez, PG&E government-affairs representative for the Stockton division, told the council his office met with city staff and the company intends to schedule a town hall meeting to answer residents' questions and provide information. Alvarez said PG&E will collect contact information at the meeting and follow up with dates and materials for the town hall.

- Assistant City Manager Arturo Sanchez said the city was told the project is currently "paused." He added that the poles are on an easement provided to PG&E by the land owner as part of the land-development process, which limits the city's direct control over the property; nevertheless he said city staff will continue to facilitate conversations among PG&E, the developer and residents.

What residents asked for

Residents asked the council to take an official position and to require the developer or utility to provide a more detailed explanation of: the engineering and safety rationale; why the poles were chosen for a short segment while other sections would be underground; whether the poles can be relocated; and whether construction can be halted until those questions are answered. Several asked the city to seek a formal commitment from PG&E and the developer.

Next steps and city response

City staff will collect contact information from residents who want to attend the PG&E-organized town hall. Council members said they will consider placing a formal item on a future agenda to clarify the city's position and next steps after the town hall. PG&E and staff said they will work to set a date and share information.

Evidence in the transcript

- Residents repeatedly asked whether the project was "paused" and said they had received limited responses from the developer; the city reported a pause and PG&E committed to a town-hall meeting to provide technical details to residents.