Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Building Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council holds demolition decision for fire-damaged house on South Blount Street for two weeks to pursue neighborhood outreach

2341039 · February 19, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council opened the hearing for a fire-damaged duplex at 617 South Blount Street and kept it open, directing staff to reach out to preservation groups and neighborhood stakeholders before considering a demolition ordinance.

Council on Feb. 18 opened a hearing on a demolition ordinance for 617 South Blount Street — a duplex that sustained extensive fire damage in August 2023 — and elected to hold the hearing open for two weeks to allow staff to pursue neighborhood outreach and preservation options.

Housing and Neighborhoods staff said the owner applied for a building-only permit but did not procure the mechanical, electrical or plumbing permits required to return the unit to habitable condition; enforcement action began when no follow-up work occurred following the November 2023 inspection. Staff showed photos of significant structural damage and said the property has been unsecured at times; the site is within the Prince Hall historic overlay district.

Nut graf: Councilors asked staff to contact historic-preservation groups and neighborhood stakeholders about potential options (including whether the owner might sell to a preservation-minded buyer) before the council considers adopting a demolition ordinance; the hearing was held open and set for reconsideration at the March 4 meeting.

Staff told council they had met the property owner on site in November and urged permit activity; attempts to negotiate a sale or preservation have not yet borne fruit. Planning staff said Preserve Raleigh had been contacted previously and had not offered to intervene; council members requested a two-week hold while staff recontacts preservation groups and neighborhood contacts.

Ending: The council left the demolition hearing open and directed code-enforcement staff to re-engage the owner and preservation partners; the item will return to council at its next available meeting.