Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Complaints topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Staff: December complaint about employer banning durag was forwarded to city attorney; no new complaints in 2025
Summary
Staff reported the Civil Rights Board received no complaints so far in 2025 and reviewed a Dec. 30, 2024 complaint alleging an employer prohibited a worker from wearing a durag; the complaint was forwarded to the city attorney on Jan. 6, 2025 and remains under review.
Get email alerts on the Complaints topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
At the Feb. 5 meeting, board staff reported there were no complaints filed so far in 2025 and provided an update on a complaint filed Dec. 30, 2024 alleging an employer denied a worker the right to wear a durag at work.
Board staff Lau summarized the Dec. 30 complaint: the complainant said the employer notified him the durag was "unprofessional" after he was told it was acceptable previously and the complainant provided recorded statements the complainant said showed supervisors had allowed similar head coverings prior to his hire. The complaint was logged with a date of harm of Dec. 30, 2024; the complainant was notified the board received the complaint on Jan. 6, 2025. Staff said the complaint was forwarded to the city attorney's office for review and remains under review.
Why it matters: the complaint process determines whether the Civil Rights Board or the city will investigate alleged employment discrimination and whether the complaint should proceed to a formal review. The board also reminded members that its ordinance sets a 91-day timeline from receipt of a complaint to a disposition or resolution.
Ending: Board members noted the complaint remains with the city attorney for review and reiterated the board's 91-day timeline for complaint resolution; staff will report updates as the city attorney provides guidance.

