Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Family Recovery Court topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Barron County officials present Family Recovery Court results; judges and participants highlight reduced out-of-home placements
Summary
Judges, program staff and former participants described Family Recovery Court as an evidence-based, federally funded program that aims to keep children with parents who complete intensive recovery services. County presenters said out-of-home placements have fallen since 2018 and federal grants funded the program’s launch and expansion.
Get email alerts on the Family Recovery Court topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Barron County judges and program staff on Feb. 17 described Family Recovery Court as a voluntary, intensive program that pairs treatment and frequent judicial oversight to help parents address substance use disorders and keep children in the home.
Judge Babler, who said he has served 20 years on the bench and previously worked 20 years as a district attorney, told the county board the program is “evidence-based” and gives parents services they may not otherwise get. He said those services increase the chances that parents will resolve addiction problems and either keep or regain custody of their children.
The program’s youth-and-families manager, Carla Bridal, said Family Recovery Court launched in Barron County after judges and human services staff concluded the prior approach was not keeping children safely at home. Bridal said the program began after a 2019 federal grant from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) — roughly $650,000 over three years — and later received an enhancement award in 2023 worth about $896,000 that runs through 2026. Bridal said the county is working to sustain the program after grant funds end.
Participants shown in a short promotional video and several people who spoke at the meeting described frequent check-ins with the court, peer recovery coaches and parenting supports as crucial elements. One participant said, “Because of Family Recovery Court, I got my kids back.” Another said the program helped her build daily routines, obtain housing and pursue education.
Babler and Bridal gave these operational details: the court typically staffs cases for 90 minutes and conducts court for 90 minutes every other Tuesday; caseloads usually range from 12 to 18 parents at a time; alumni meetings are required after graduation to maintain supports; and recovery coaches frequently are program graduates who now work on the team.
Bridal and Babler cited county outcomes as part of their pitch to the board. Babler said Barron County had about 110 children placed out of home in 2018, and that number had fallen to 33 children out of home as of the last January report, with about 40% of those children placed with relatives. Bridal and Babler said the change is tied to the county’s response to the methamphetamine epidemic and the court’s holistic model.
Supervisors asked about common factors among parents in the program; Babler said trauma in childhood is the most frequent denominator. Several supervisors praised the program as preventive and less costly than incarceration: one supervisor said a participant estimated incarceration would have cost taxpayers roughly $100,000 per year.
Funding and sustainability were discussed in detail. Bridal said the county launched the court using federal grants and technical assistance; staff said the county is working to incorporate core functions into regular budgets and to identify which positions and duties could be sustained locally when grant funding ends.
Board members and the county judge asked that staff keep the board informed about budget implications for continuing the program after grant expiration and about any measures of long-term outcomes for families who complete the court.
The presentation closed with supervisors thanking the judge, staff and program participants for illustrating the program’s results.

