Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Pipeline Safety And Permitting topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Buellton council asks county to review rerouting of oil pipeline, directs city manager to send letter

2316804 · February 14, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Buellton City Council voted to have the city manager draft a letter asking the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors to require Sable Offshore to evaluate rerouting the petroleum pipeline away from Buellton and, if rerouting is not feasible, to require stronger inspections and updated environmental review.

The Buellton City Council voted to direct the city manager to draft a letter urging the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors to require the new pipeline owner, Sable Offshore, to review options to reroute the petroleum pipeline that runs through Buellton. The council also asked staff to incorporate backup requests — stronger inspection and corrosion mitigation, and updates to environmental documentation — if rerouting is not adopted.

City Manager Scott Wolf told the council that many of the state permitting requirements for oil pipelines are outside city authority but that Buellton's position is nevertheless relevant because the pipeline runs directly through the city. Wolf said staff had done a “cursory” review and would draft the letter based on council direction.

The item followed public comment from multiple residents and local advocates who described past incidents and potential local risks. Diane Craig, a Buellton resident, told the council the city should “remind the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors that Exxon proposed to realign the pipeline outside Buellton in 2017” and urged the council to ask the county to require any new owner to do the same. Theresa Reifel, speaking on behalf of WeWatch, asked the council to oppose restarting the pipeline without stronger safeguards, citing concerns about the 2015 Refugio-area spill and potential impacts to the San Ynez River watershed. Len Fleckenstein outlined four reasons Buellton should press for rerouting, including that the pipeline proposal documents do not identify the city as directly affected and that a previously proposed realignment would reduce community risk.

Council debate focused on resident safety, economic considerations and the limits of city authority. Council Member Hornick argued the council’s primary duty is resident health and safety and favored asking the county to insist on rerouting or, at minimum, substantially improved safety measures for the existing alignment. Vice Mayor Lewis said she was mindful of local fiscal impacts from oil industry activity but concluded the city should prioritize community safety while avoiding unnecessary escalation. Council Member Sanchez argued the matter was primarily a county responsibility and urged the city to refrain from taking a position that would unduly interfere.

Council Member Hornick moved and Council Member Renick seconded a motion directing the city manager to prepare a letter: (1) requesting the county require Sable Offshore to review rerouting the pipeline to bypass Buellton; (2) if rerouting is not done, requesting stronger inspection, corrosion mitigation and other safety measures; and (3) requesting that environmental documentation be updated to reflect current conditions and the city’s concerns. The vote was recorded as Mayor Silva: Aye; Vice Mayor Lewis: Aye; Council Member Sanchez: No. City Attorney Murphy confirmed that the council’s majority of the quorum was sufficient to adopt the direction and instructed staff to prepare the letter. The city manager will draft the letter for signature and transmission to county officials.

Background documents and speakers noted that the pipeline predates much of the city’s current development, that a 2017 draft EIR discussed realignment options, and that the 2015 incident near Refugio underscores local concern. City staff emphasized they do not have permitting authority over the pipeline but can advise the county and state agencies of Buellton’s concerns.

The council’s direction was limited to drafting and sending the letter; no ordinance, permit revision, funding commitment or legal action was adopted by Buellton as part of this vote.