Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Hillside Development Runyon Canyon topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Runyon Canyon house: council continues appeal after fire-access and grading concerns; applicant consents to April 1 deadline
Summary
After extended testimony from neighbors, environmental reviewers and the project team, the committee accepted the applicant's consent to extend the appeal deadline and continued the Runyon Canyon single-family project to April 1 to allow additional review of fire-safety, grading and other concerns.
Get email alerts on the Hillside Development Runyon Canyon topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Planning and Land Use Committee continued consideration of the appeal for the Runyon Canyon single-family project after a lengthy hearing that focused on wildfire access and an unusually large grading request.
The nut graf: Appellants including the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy and the Hillside Federation argued that the project's approvals failed to address updated state wildfire access rules and that the proposed grading and massing would damage a prominent ridgeline adjacent to Runyon Canyon Park. The applicant and project consultants said the design was reduced substantially from earlier versions, that the house is embedded beneath the ridgeline to minimize visibility, and that LAFD has reviewed and updated hydrant/access plans; the applicant consented to an April 1 continuance so departments can review additional materials.
Andres Parra and planning staff briefed the committee on the Cultural Heritage Commission and South Valley Area Planning Commission determinations. Appellants urged denial of the approvals, with Hillside Federation counsel Jamie Hall arguing the project does not comply with new state minimum fire-safe regulations and that prior LAFD letters predated the 2022 changes. Appellants also said construction would increase noise and other impacts; the appellants asked the committee to reverse the approvals or continue for additional review.
The applicant's team — including architect, environmental consultant and retired fire chief Mike Dyer 'said the home had been redesigned from an original 11,000-square-foot proposal down to a 5,700-square-foot primary residence embedded under the ridge, and that the project includes a 20-foot-wide driveway, a 60-foot hammerhead turnaround and a new fire hydrant designed to provide required flow. The applicant submitted documents in the record showing updated LAFD sign-off and stated they would comply with the very-high-fire-severity supplemental plan check at building plan review.
Committee members pressed staff and the applicant on key technical points: the amount of grading (the project requests roughly 28,000 cubic yards compared with a by-right allowance of roughly 6,600 cubic yards and a specific-plan allowance of approximately 14,000 cubic yards for the lot), whether the state's 20-foot roadway standard applied, and whether construction staging or truck routes could increase risk during fire or heavy rain. Planning staff explained that the grading determination was handled as a zoning administrator determination with specific required findings rather than as a zone variance (which would require hardship findings).
City attorney staff noted that, without a continuance, the appeals could be deemed denied by operation of law on the committee's deadline. The applicant agreed to extend the time and consented to a new deadline of April 1, 2025; the committee recorded the continuance and the matter will return for further consideration. The record includes environmental analyses the applicant says found no significant impacts, and the committee asked staff to work with the applicant and LAFD and to provide clarity on whether further fire/safety or geotechnical information is needed before the matter returns to the committee.
The committee recorded the continuance (applicant consent) and will revisit the appeal with the additional material and technical review expected by April 1.

