Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Code Enforcement topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council removes one house from condemnation list, approves condemnation of others

2270324 · February 11, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Councilors pulled one property from the staff list after an owner presented probate and renovation plans, and approved moving forward to condemn three other properties the city deems dilapidated.

The McAlester City Council acted on a staff recommendation to condemn properties judged dilapidated, but it removed one home from the condemnation list after the purchaser described probate issues and repair plans.

City code enforcement staff presented exhibit A, a list of four properties considered for condemnation and demolition as unsafe or detrimental to neighborhood health and safety. Staff said notices had been mailed, posted and published and reported the city had $36,310 available in the demolition budget.

Leslie Martinez, who said she had purchased one of the homes on Nov. 23 but was delayed by probate, told council she had interior work already started, had documents finalizing probate the same day as the meeting and intended to apply for a loan and permit to rehab the house. City staff explained a special remodeling permit would require a $2,500 cash bond and a 90‑day time limit to complete work, with extensions possible through the building inspector and additional extensions brought to council.

Councilor Boatwright moved to pull item 1 from condemnation and reconsider it in roughly 90 days while leaving items 2–4 on the condemnation list. The motion carried on roll call.

Staff said properties remaining on the exhibit are primarily burn‑damaged structures the city aims to address; one published item (308 West Tyler) had already been removed from the list because of a change of ownership. If owners do not complete required repairs under the special remodeling process, staff said demolition can proceed and city costs may be recovered from liens or the bond.

Council did not set demolition contractors, exact addresses for each condemned parcel at the council action point, or specific demolition dates; staff said those steps would follow standard bid and notification procedures if condemnation proceeds.