Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Transportation Interchange Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City engineer urges temporary closure of right-turn movements at Bangerter/9000 South ramps to reduce backups and safety risks
Summary
City staff told the council that a signal at the Bangerter/9000 South interchange is creating long backups; the city engineer recommended removing right-on movements during construction so the signal can be removed, and council members instructed staff to coordinate with UDOT and local businesses on detours and access.
Get email alerts on the Transportation Interchange Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City of South Jordan staff raised traffic safety and congestion concerns at the Bangerter Highway / 9000 South interchange during the Feb. 4 council meeting and recommended temporary changes to ramp movements while construction continues.
Brad Clavineau, the city engineer, described the interchange configuration as a "tight diamond" with narrower ramps and said the temporary signal at the ramps is causing long evening backups. Clavineau said he had spoken with UDOT staff, including Marwan and region director Robert Stewart, who are "really concerned because, especially in the PM peak, southbound, it's backing up clear past 7800 south" and the AM peak backups reach almost 8400 south. He recommended removing right-on movements so the signal could be removed during the remainder of construction, which staff estimated will last until roughly September or October when the full interchange is completed.
Council members and public-safety chiefs present expressed safety concerns about the long backups and supported staff moving forward with a temporary restriction. Clavineau noted impacts to local traffic patterns: drivers are diverting onto 4000 West/40th West, increasing volumes on that route. He also flagged business-access impacts, specifically a medical building on the northeast corner of 9000 South, and said closures would likely be staged so affected businesses receive notice and detour signage. "They'll have to come out and go left and go back around somehow," Clavineau said of businesses that need to exit northbound.
Council members urged staff to work with UDOT and the affected schools and businesses. City Manager Lewis said staff would coordinate with UDOT and local stakeholders; UDOT staff (Marwan and Robert Stewart) were described as supportive of exploring the change. Clavineau said emergency responders and both police chiefs had been consulted and concurred that removing the right-on movement during construction would reduce the risk of dangerous maneuvers and long backups that impede emergency access.
No formal council vote was recorded; council members expressed agreement that the city should pursue the temporary closure and asked staff to finalize plans with UDOT, notify affected businesses and post detours. Clavineau pledged to notify the council by email once UDOT confirms a definite plan and to coordinate business access accommodations during the temporary change.
The city manager noted the closure would be temporary for the remainder of construction; the interchange is expected to operate with full signals and movements after construction is finished.
Because the change concerns a state-owned roadway, final decisions and implementation will be made by UDOT, but city staff will continue coordination and outreach to schools, businesses and emergency services during the transition.
