Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Space Pedestrianization topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Neighbors urge Denver to restore five-year car-free block on Larimer Street after sudden reopening to traffic
Summary
Residents and business supporters asked Denver City Council to restore the 2900 block of Larimer Street to the car-free configuration that had been in place for five years, saying the closure improved safety, business activity and public life; speakers said the permit held by the business district was not renewed and asked the city to step in.
Get email alerts on the Public Space Pedestrianization topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents and business supporters urged Denver City Council on Feb. 3 to restore the 2900 block of Larimer Street to the car-free configuration that had been in place for five years after the city reopened the block to vehicle traffic without prior notice.
Spencer McCullough, a resident, said he and others “found out, you know, just 2 days ago that that was coming out.” He said the closure had functioned as a traffic filter that limited the street mostly to deliveries and customers and made the block safer for people walking, biking and using scooters.
The request for a city intervention was echoed by Christian Westerberg, a resident and rollerblader, and Ian Fresh, a resident, who described the block as a destination that draws visitors and supports local businesses. “It was such a blessing to have that closed,” Westerberg said. “I was really disappointed to hear this weekend, that it would be it would be open again to cars.”
Speakers said the closure had been permitted on a temporary basis during the COVID period and then used for around five years. Business owners on the block told speakers they expected the business district to renew the permit but learned instead that the district had not renewed, prompting the sudden reopening.
Community members described a neighborhood rally held the day after the reopening that drew about 200 people, who protested and briefly reoccupied the street to restore it to a car-free configuration for part of the afternoon.
Speakers urged the council to have the city sponsor or take over the permit temporarily so the block could be closed again while officials and neighbors consider a permanent design with long-term materials and bollards like those used in Larimer Square. Ian Fresh cautioned that “the longer it stays open to traffic, the harder it will be to put it back to a pedestrian and bicycle street.”
Speakers also told council staff that businesses such as Ratio Brewing had prepared studies and cost estimates to make the closure permanent and were surprised the permit renewal did not go forward.
There was no formal motion or vote recorded during the public comment session; speakers asked council members and staff to follow up with the community, business district and transportation officials.
The matter of the 2900 block of Larimer Street was raised exclusively during the public comment period and drew multiple residents to speak in favor of restoring the car-free configuration.
Searchable tags: Larimer Street, pedestrianization, temporary permit, community rally, Ratio Brewing.
