Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Affordable Housing topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Housing advocates press council to allocate $30–50 million to Barnes Affordable Housing Fund
Summary
Multiple speakers during the pre-budget public comment urged the council to boost funding for the Barnes Affordable Housing Trust Fund, calling for $30 million to $50 million to replace expiring federal funds and to preserve and create permanently affordable units.
Get email alerts on the Affordable Housing topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Several speakers representing housing coalitions, tenant groups and the Housing Trust Fund Commission urged the Metropolitan Council to substantially increase local funding for the Barnes Affordable Housing Fund during the pre-budget public comment period on Feb. 4.
Why it matters: Speakers warned that federal funds that helped produce affordable units last year have ended and that state funding is uncertain. They said local allocations are needed to continue projects already in motion and to preserve deeply affordable units serving vulnerable households, including homeless students and low-income workers.
What advocates said: Anton Christiansen Galena, who said he was appointed to the Housing Trust Fund Commission, told the council the fund had helped produce or protect almost 5,000 units with another 1,380 in development and that federal matching dollars last year raised the fund to $45 million. "That funding is gone now," he said, asking the council to "allocate $50,000,000 to the Barnes Fund."
Other speakers from neighborhood and affordable-housing coalitions urged a range of additional support, including using city-owned land for permanently affordable housing and maintaining programs such as eviction right-to-counsel and other tenant protections. "Our task force is concerned about the 4,500 homeless students in our schools," said Kaye Bowers of the NOAH affordable housing task force, urging a comprehensive housing plan and increased Barnes Fund allocations.
Council response and context: Speakers pointed to past Council actions and prior federal support and framed the Barnes Fund as a seed fund that attracts private and federal investment. Councilmembers did not take a vote on funding during the meeting; budget deliberations remain ongoing.
Ending: Advocates asked the council to treat Barnes Fund allocations as a high priority during FY26 budget negotiations to avoid pauses in projects and to preserve affordability for vulnerable households.

