Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Youth Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Speakers urge council to fully fund $10 million 'varsity spending plan' for youth safety
Summary
Dozens of young people, organizers and service providers urged the Metropolitan Council to fully fund a $10 million youth-safety package — the 'varsity spending plan' — citing recent school shootings and ongoing community violence.
Get email alerts on the Youth Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Dozens of young people and community organizers urged the Metropolitan Council of Nashville and Davidson County on Feb. 4 to fully fund the varsity spending plan, a three-part youth safety proposal the council first funded last year.
Advocates representing youth-led groups and nonprofit coalitions said the $10 million plan would expand restorative programs in schools, increase community-center programming and grow the Office of Youth Safety’s capacity. "We continue that ask this year: $10,000,000 to invest in youth safety," said Mike (Southern Movement Committee), addressing the council during pre-budget public comment.
Why it matters: Supporters argue the plan addresses root causes of violence through community programs rather than increased policing. Speakers said the plan will both prevent violence and provide mental-health supports after incidents. "It is a life-saving plan," said Denzel Caldwell of the Black Nashville Assembly, referencing both prevention and services for youth affected by gun violence.
What advocates described: Supporters outlined the plan’s major elements and the local impacts they expect if it is funded at scale: - Restorative justice in schools (advocates suggested a $2 million allocation for high schools and pilot programs); - Expanded community-center programs and youth programming (advocates urged at least $4 million to expand programming where youth gather outside school hours); - Strengthening the Office of Youth Safety, including staffing and program rollout ($4 million requested to grow the office’s capacity).
Multiple young people who said they attend area high schools, including students from Antioch High School, testified that the recent Antioch school shooting and other local incidents have left students fearful and in need of supportive services. "I have friends at Antioch High School who are afraid to go to school," said Micah Dixon, a KIPP Nashville Collegiate student.
Organizers also framed the spending plan as part of larger prevention strategies: "If we want fewer car break-ins, fewer instances of gun violence, fewer thefts and assaults, devote millions to social housing and nonpolice community safety programs," said Andrew Krinx of the Nashville People’s Budget Coalition, invoking housing and community investments as complementary needs.
Council response and next steps: The council did not take a vote during public comment. Several council members thanked speakers and acknowledged the request will be considered during the upcoming budget process. Advocates asked the council to prioritize the full $10 million in the operating and capital budget discussions this spring.
Ending: Advocates said the plan builds on an initial $1 million allocation from last year and urged the council to deepen that investment in the FY26 budget cycle.

