Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Federal Grants topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents warn of federal grant reductions' risk to Port Angeles economy; city manager says staff is monitoring grants

2232470 · February 4, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Public commenters cautioned the council that proposed federal austerity could hit the local economy; the city manager said staff is tracking federal grant developments and working with the city's congressional offices.

Several speakers used public comment to warn that federal budget cuts and changing grant programs could harm Port Angeles’ economy and local projects.

A business owner (identified in the record as Steve Palleo) and a resident (John Ralston) said Port Angeles relies heavily on federal dollars and that reductions at the federal level could strain local employers and grant-funded projects. Palleo said the city should prioritize “essential, high-impact investments” that diversify the local economy; Ralston echoed concerns about trickle-down effects from state and federal shortfalls.

City Manager Nathan told the council staff are monitoring federal grant developments daily, are coordinating with the city’s U.S. senators’ offices, and will provide updates as new information becomes available. Councilmembers asked for confirmation that state-administered grants with federal funding had been included in the city’s review; the manager said staff are conducting an initial search and would continue to review state grants that are federally funded but could not yet say the review was exhaustive.

No formal policy or budget actions were taken at the meeting, but the council received notice that staff will continue to track federal and state grant risks and report back.