Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Infrastructure Damage Water Main topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents say June 13 water-main break left families with destroyed homes, seek city assistance

2175093 · January 28, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Multiple residents affected by the June 13, 2024 water main break in the Adams/Philadelphia area told the commission they remain displaced or under-repaired, cited health impacts and large out-of-pocket costs, and said earlier city responses were inadequate or stalled.

More than a handful of residents told the commission they continue to suffer health and financial consequences from a June 13, 2024 water main break at Adams and Philadelphia, describing mold, destroyed personal property and repair debts.

"It has now been over 7 months since the water main break at Adams in Philadelphia on June 13, 2024," said Jasmine Ryder, a Third Ward resident. "This water main break destroyed many of our homes, cars, and belongings. Since then, we have been living in constant chaos, trying to get things fixed, figuring out how to pay for it all, and adjusting to what feels like a new heartbreaking norm." She said residents who sought city financial assistance were told to seek legal counsel and that appeals have produced no clear path to reimbursement.

Other speakers corroborated health and safety concerns. Casey Carnoli, who said his home was badly damaged, told commissioners he and neighbors had been invited to a closed-door meeting and encouraged to seek legal representation; the group has since sent demand letters to the city. "We were invited to a closed door meeting with some of the officials here tonight and encouraged to seek legal counsel," he said. Megan Carnoli said the family suffered more than $120,000 in damages and is planning to move outside Grand Rapids because they "have no trust in the people we elected to help us."

Resident Larry Gibbs, who said his neighborhood includes about 15 damaged homes, urged the commission to follow through on previously discussed executive orders and relief. He described continuing health problems in homes with mold and said the city had previously halted an executive relief step when attorneys became involved.

What the commission heard: speakers sought clarity on whether the city would provide direct financial assistance, how demand letters would be handled, and when homeowners might expect decisions or relief. Some said insurance covered portions of losses but left families with significant debt.

Commission response and status: commissioners acknowledged the item and requested a follow-up update. Commissioner Kilgore said neighbors have begun communication with the city and pledged to continue work toward remediation; several commissioners asked staff for a written update on demand letters and next steps.

Ending: commissioners did not approve an immediate new program; they asked staff to report back with status and next steps on the demand letters and any possible relief or program changes.