Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Parks And Recreation Pickleball topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Palm Springs pickleball expansion heads to City Council as players press for timeline and temporary courts
Summary
At the Jan. 27 Parks and Recreation Commission meeting, players and community members urged clearer timelines, temporary playing options and seating plans for the proposed Ginyouth/DeBooth Park pickleball expansion. Director Nicholas Gonzalez told the commission the project will go to City Council on Feb. 13 for approval to bid.
Get email alerts on the Parks And Recreation Pickleball topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Public commenters pressed the Palm Springs Parks and Recreation Commission on Jan. 27 for clearer scheduling, temporary playing arrangements and spectator accommodations for the planned pickleball expansion at DeBooth/Ginyouth Park, while Parks and Recreation Director Nicholas Gonzalez said staff will present final plans to the City Council on Feb. 13 so the project can be put out to bid.
The issue drew multiple speakers during the commission’s public comment period, reflecting concern from local players and seasonal visitors who rely on advance notice to plan travel and tournaments. “I would like to thank Michael Finland for leading our ad hoc committee… and I also would like to welcome Nicholas Gonzalez as the new parks and rec director,” said Mary Barcelo, identifying herself as “an ambassador for USA Pickleball,” adding she looks forward to “creating a… 24-court premier facility.”
Others asked specific operational questions. Jim Seavie (caller) read a list of community questions into the record, asking, “When will the construction begin?” and “How long will the courts be out of service?” He also said players want to know whether the existing courts will remain open during construction and whether temporary arrangements—such as use of Palm Springs High School tennis courts—are being pursued. David Feldman, a community commenter, praised the new director and the ad hoc work but echoed the request for clearer scheduling: “They will be a huge contributor to the health and well-being of our residents and visitors,” and thanked the commission for moving the project forward.
Nicholas Gonzalez, Parks and Recreation director, said the expansion—identified in commission materials as the Ginyouth Park Pickleball Expansion Project—will be on the City Council agenda on Feb. 13 so the council can approve final plans and allow the city to solicit bids. “We are taking forward the parks and recreation master plan… and the Ginyouth Park Pickleball Expansion Project will go to the council for approval on February 13th,” Gonzalez said during his director’s report. He also acknowledged communication gaps and said staff will improve messaging to the public about timing and next steps.
Speakers raised several recurring concerns that the commission did not resolve at the meeting: whether the existing courts would stay open during construction; whether the city would provide temporary locations or schedules for players; the projected length of any closure (speakers referenced an unconfirmed rumor that construction could take about a year); the absence of planned spectator seating or bleachers for large tournaments; and circulating estimates of project cost, which a speaker said had been mentioned informally as about $6,200,000 (a figure not confirmed at the meeting).
The commission did not take a formal vote on the pickleball project at the Jan. 27 meeting. Gonzalez and several commissioners said the next milestone will be the Feb. 13 City Council review; staff and ad hoc members indicated they will use that step to finalize documents needed for bidding and to refine public communications and timelines. Commissioners suggested posting schedule updates at the courts where players gather as a supplement to website notices.
What remains open: the meeting record contains public requests for a written schedule of construction and interim playing options, clarification on spectator accommodations and a confirmed cost estimate; none of those items was finalized at the commission meeting. Gonzalez indicated staff will continue to coordinate with the ad hoc committee, the city manager’s office and consultants and will return with updated information after the City Council action.

