Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Housing Eviction Moratorium topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council refers proposed post-wildfire tenant protections to committee after hours of public comment
Summary
The Los Angeles City Council on Jan. 29 referred a proposed package of emergency renter protections tied to recent wildfires to the Housing and Homelessness Committee after extended public comment and debate, rather than adopting the measures immediately.
Get email alerts on the Housing Eviction Moratorium topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Los Angeles City Council on Jan. 29 did not adopt an emergency ordinance to pause rent increases or create a citywide eviction defense for tenants affected by recent wildfires. Instead, by a 10–3 recorded vote the council referred the proposal (Item 15) to the Housing and Homelessness Committee for further work and refinement.
The proposal as introduced would have given renters affected by wildfire-related loss of income a year-long defense against evictions and a pause on rent increases; the version considered on the floorwent through multiple amendments before council voted to send the matter to committee.
Why it matters: Speakers and council members framed the debate as a trade-off between rapid protections for households impaired by the fires and the risk of unintended market and administrative consequences that, critics say, could push housing providers out of the city or encourage misuse of emergency provisions. Supporters said immediate action is necessary to prevent displacement; opponents pointed to the lessons and harms from wide eviction moratoria during the COVID-19 era and urged a more narrowly targeted, verifiable assistance program.
What supporters said
Adam Smith, of the LA Community Action Network Human and Civil Rights Committee, urged the council to approve Item 15 "as written," saying, "LA City must pause evictions and rent increases to help people struggling to pay rent after losing their income and prevent further displacement and homelessness caused by the fires." Christina Boyer, an attorney with Public Counsel speaking on behalf of Keep LA Housed, said tenants had already lost homes and income and needed immediate relief: "How can people face more rent increases if they already can't pay their rent?" Several tenant-organizing groups and individuals cited a Rent Brigade analysis read into the record that claimed landlords and agents were charging roughly $7,700,000 extra per month across the city ("amounting to $92,400,000 annually above the legal limit," as speakers characterized the figure) and urged a fast moratorium to stop price gouging.
What opponents said
Representatives of housing-provider groups cautioned against a broad, fast-moving moratorium without verification. Carlos Singer, chief of policy for the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce, said the chamber opposed Item 15, arguing it would "discourage" investment needed for rebuilding and urged the council to pursue targeted rent relief instead. David Geishan of the Apartment Association of Greater Los Angeles warned that a citywide rent freeze and an easy self-attestation process would produce "mountains of unpaid back rent" and mass evictions later, repeating concerns many presenters tied to the COVID-era measures. Several small-building owners described sharp increases in insurance, utilities and other costs and said another freeze would force some to sell or exit the rental market.
Questions from Council and the housing department
Council members pressed Housing Department staff for data on how many workers had lost income due to the fires; Housing Department witnesses said they had "limited" inquiry counts but did not have a consolidated number of displaced workers or household income losses and noted the department is gathering property-level data showing destroyed or damaged units. Housing staff warned that standing up a new rental assistance program would require locating funding and running a procurement process; they estimated a multi-month timeline to have funds in hand and available to households.
Council-level process and outcome
Several council members argued the proposal needed more work to avoid unintended harms and to ensure verification and enforceability. Councilmember Marquee Harris-Dawson and others urged targeted aid and administrative readiness; Councilmember Hugo Soto-Martinez and Councilmember Marquee Hutt argued for quick protections for impacted renters. After prolonged debate and a procedural exchange, the council voted to refer Item 15 to the Housing and Homelessness Committee for further development and detailed findings rather than adopt an emergency ordinance on the floor.
Votes at a glance
- Item 15 (post-wildfire tenant protections — proposed rent increase pause and eviction defense): Referred to Housing and Homelessness Committee (motion to refer carried; recorded outcome referred with vote reported as 10 ayes, 3 noes in the official roll call on the floor).
Where this goes next
The committee will consider the suite of amendments and the underlying policy, and staff said the department would continue outreach and identify potential funding paths for rental assistance. Councilmembers repeatedly urged that any final council action be narrowly targeted, include verification measures, and be paired with an operational plan so aid reaches affected households before enforcement issues lead to evictions.
Ending note
Speakers on both sides said they want the same goal — to keep Angelenos housed while preserving the city's ability to maintain and produce rental housing — but the council paused final action to buy time for additional data, drafting, and outreach before deciding whether and how to adopt emergency renter protections.

