Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Cemetery Columbarium topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Defiance City Council discusses placing single columbarium in Section 25 of city cemetery

2158372 · January 29, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council members and staff reviewed cemetery maps and the sexton’s recommendation to place an initial columbarium in Section 25; officials said the city will use a design‑build procurement and begin with one unit rather than a large master plan immediately.

The Defiance City Council discussed plans to install a single columbarium in the northwest corner of Section 25 of the city cemetery, following a recommendation from the cemetery sexton.

City staff and council members reviewed section maps and told the council they plan to pursue a design‑build process for the first unit. Officials said the intent is to test one smaller structure sited away from the road and to match the existing mausoleum’s architecture rather than immediately pursue a larger, master‑planned construction.

Council members and staff described the sexton’s concern that vehicles sometimes cross curbed roundabouts in sections 24 and 34, risking damage to installed features; that was a factor in recommending the Section 25 location. The council discussed whether to hold public meetings before or after the design phase; at least one council member argued that waiting until design submissions are available would be more productive and avoid prolonging the procurement process.

City staff said the next step would be to issue a design‑build request so vendors can propose designs and costs, and then return to the council for review and selection. Staff also said the cemetery sexton and parks staff can show council members the proposed site in person and can mark the site for visits.

Council members asked that providers other than a previously used monument supplier be allowed to submit plans; staff said they would make interested vendors aware of the opportunity. No formal motion or vote was recorded on a site selection or funding at the meeting.

Questions and concerns raised during the discussion included vehicle impacts near existing roundabouts, the visual fit with the existing mausoleum, and whether to hold public engagement before or after receiving design proposals. Staff said the project would proceed through the normal design‑build procurement and return to council for decisions about a selected design and any expansion beyond the initial unit.