Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Sober Living Regulation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents, council members press city to review rules after sober-living operator’s past murder conviction draws protests
Summary
Public speakers at the Jan. 21 Oxnard City Council meeting raised safety concerns about a sober living house whose manager is a convicted child killer, prompting council requests for staff and the city attorney to examine a narrowly tailored ordinance to bar violent felons from operating group homes.
Get email alerts on the Sober Living Regulation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Public commenters at the Oxnard City Council meeting on Jan. 21 pressed the city for new rules after neighbors identified a sober-living house in their neighborhood whose manager, they said, was convicted years earlier in a child’s death. Speakers described safety concerns about the manager’s presence near a school and asked the council to act.
The discussion began during public comment when multiple residents and callers described anxiety over a sober living home in the Colonia area and named Dean Joseph Lutz as the facility’s manager. Several speakers recounted the underlying criminal case and said the manager’s presence in the neighborhood — they said two blocks from a school — created fear among parents. Jason McComb and Abel Velasquez described personal and community trauma related to violent crime; Kelly Lake, calling in, said Lutz had completed his sentence and urged the community not to harass him; other callers supplied written support from a retired deputy probation officer who said Lutz had shown remorse and helped other residents.
Why it matters: Councilmembers and residents said the episode highlights tensions between the state parole system, housing for people in recovery and neighborhood safety. Councilmember John Starr asked the city attorney to examine whether the council could craft a “narrowly tailored” ordinance to bar violent felons from operating group homes or sober living facilities, and asked that the attorney report back with timing at the next meeting. Other council members said any policy should avoid unlawful discrimination against residents in recovery and noted the city’s limited authority versus state parole decisions.
Supporters of the sober-living operator also spoke. Ray Ford, founder of First Phase Inc., said his organization contracts with the state to house parolees and described transition services and oversight in his houses. Caller Kelly Lake, who said she is the manager’s sister, said he had completed required programs and that harassment of released individuals was wrong. A written letter from Carol Mechanic, a retired deputy probation officer, was read into the record supporting the manager and describing his post-release conduct.
What the council asked staff to do: Councilmember Starr said he would like the City Attorney to explore a narrowly drawn ordinance banning violent felons from operating group homes and sober living facilities and to tell the council when such an ordinance could come forward for a first reading. Councilmembers and staff also discussed the limits of local authority, the need to vet facts carefully before rulemaking and how changes could affect people in recovery who are protected by federal and state disability rules.
Context and next steps: The council did not adopt an ordinance at the Jan. 21 meeting. Speakers on both sides of the issue asked the city to act carefully: residents emphasized proximity to schools and past crimes; advocates emphasized rehabilitation and the risks of doxxing or harassment. The mayor and council directed staff and the city attorney to study options and return with legal analysis and timing; no formal vote was taken on an ordinance.

