Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Police topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Mountlake Terrace police report Q3 statistics, training and a drive-by shooting case; officers urge callers to ring 911 if unsure about gunfire
Summary
Police Chief Pete Kahl and commanders presented the Mountlake Terrace Police Department’s third-quarter report Jan. 23, noting training updates, shifts in crime statistics and an in-depth drive-by shooting investigation that led to charges.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Police topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Police Chief Pete Kahl presented the Mountlake Terrace Police Department’s third-quarter report to the City Council on Jan. 23, outlining staffing, training and incident trends, and a case study of a January 2024 drive-by shooting that resulted in criminal charges.
Kahl said department priorities include trust-building, technology use, community policing and officer wellness. He described training this year that included pursuit intervention technique (PIT) exercises, taser refreshers and firearms work. Commander Mike Haynes announced two recent officer hires and said patrol statistics show a reduction in vehicle thefts, a slight decrease in arrests overall and an increase in DUI arrests compared with Q3 2023. Commander Scott King highlighted training, the department’s embedded social worker program and community outreach.
The report included an in-depth case study of a Jan. 3, 2024 drive-by shooting (case 24167), in which rounds struck a home and an occupant’s bed although no one was physically injured. Detectives used neighborhood videos, social-media evidence and witness interviews to identify a suspect; detectives allege the suspect posted videos and images on Snapchat showing a black semiautomatic pistol and geo-location data placing the suspect near the victim’s home. The suspect was arrested July 30, 2024, in Seattle by a regional task force and, on Aug. 14, 2024, the Snohomish County Prosecutor filed charges including first-degree assault with a firearm, drive-by shooting and second-degree malicious mischief, department presenters said. Investigators also identified a possible male associate known to detectives as a person with a criminal history; that associate was contacted by deputies at a nearby middle school the night of the incident, the report says.
Council members asked about whether the suspect had been treated as a juvenile; commanders said the suspect was a juvenile at the time of the offense and later became an adult and was charged as an adult. Kahl emphasized that juvenile justice outcomes have changed and noted broader concerns about youth violence.
Commander Haynes said the department’s records unit processed 625 cases and 148 public disclosures in the quarter; animal control handled 12 cases. The department’s evidence technician processed 351 items and destroyed 461 items during the quarter. The department responded to a major homeless encampment with partner agencies and reported Narcan use once in Q3 that saved a life, the presenters said.
In response to council questions about distinguishing fireworks from gunfire, the department recommended that residents who are unsure call 911 so officers can respond and determine whether the report represents criminal activity.
Council members thanked department leaders for the report and for their investigative and community work.

