Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the School Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Students press council for crossing guard at Wilton Place School; councilmember Walters pledges follow-up

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Two third graders from Wilton Place School asked the Los Angeles City Council for a crossing guard at Leeward Street near the school, saying cars and parents create hazardous conditions at dismissal; Councilmember Walters acknowledged the concern and said she would 'cross her fingers' and try to help arrange a guard.

Two students from Wilton Place School, third‑graders Juliana Sandoval and Adeep Chaudhary, addressed the City Council on April 27 to request a crossing guard at Leeward Street near their school entrance.

The students said drivers sometimes come close to hitting people at dismissal and that parents with strollers face danger when picking up children; they told the council they had previously sent about 900 letters to then‑Councilmember Nate Holden asking for a crossing guard and had not yet received one.

Councilmember Wendy Walters (remarks on the floor identified as Walters) said she knew the intersection and the traffic patterns at dismissal time and told the students she would try to help. “Children, you were wonderful, and I hope you get your crossing guard,” Walters said; she described the site as crowded and said she would “cross my fingers for you.”

No formal vote or ordinance was recorded on the floor; the council’s exchange constituted public‑comment follow-up and a pledge by the councilmember to pursue the request with relevant staff.