Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Beach Renourishment topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Contractors say 40% of Fort Myers Beach renourishment complete; town seeks state and federal recovery funds
Summary
Contractors and town staff told the Fort Myers Beach Town Council on Jan. 21 that work to restore the island’s beaches after recent storms has completed roughly 40% of the most-critically eroded section and that the town is pursuing state and federal recovery funds to finish the program.
Get email alerts on the Beach Renourishment topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Contractors and town staff told the Fort Myers Beach Town Council on Jan. 21 that work to restore the island’s beaches after recent storms has completed roughly 40% of the most-critically eroded section and that the town is pursuing state and federal recovery funds to finish the program.
Michael Poff, the town’s project representative for beach recovery, said the work from Bowdage Point through the central business district and past the pier represents about 40% of the total volume the town intends to place. “It represents about 40% of the total volume going from Bowdage Point down to, around to south of Diamond Head,” Poff said.
Funding and scale: Poff and later comments from contractors and staff broke down funding the town has assembled to date. The presentation cited: approximately $14 million in state funding already allocated toward construction; an $8 million appropriation through the state Department of Emergency Management for prior recovery work; roughly $9 million available from county Tourist Development Council (TDC) contract funds; and a remaining local share the presenters described as roughly $2 million. Taken together, Poff said the town’s recovery program now totals about $50 million for projects either completed, underway or planned since Hurricane Ian.
Schedule, delays and results: the contractor (Ahtna/Aetna—transcript spelling varies) and its subcontractors have begun work on the south end and central sections but said the schedule has been disrupted by storms (Debbie, Helene and Milton) and by a bid protest that delayed mobilization earlier in the summer. As of the meeting, the contractor was mobilizing boosters and pipeline components and working to shift pipeline boosters to address neighbor concerns. Poff said the town and contractor are aiming to finish the south-end placement before the shore-bird nesting window restricts work, and he set a target to complete most south-end work by March and to complete overall work before sea-turtle nesting season begins in May.
Construction details and safety: contractors present urged boaters to avoid the dredge and pipeline area. Wes Gamens, identified as vice president of Otterner Marine (contracting partner), advised mariners to avoid the dredge and stay 500–1,000 feet from the working dredge, follow posted signage and remain in navigational channels rather than “hugging the beach.” Contractors said floating pipelines are marked and lit at night.
Post-construction work: plantings and dune restoration will follow demobilization and final grading; the contractor and town said they will not plant until the pipe and boosters are removed and the beach is smooth-graded. The consultants and staff said dune-planting plans are under review and that planting is expected after final grading and demobilization, likely later this spring.
Other details: the south-end fill template will be constructed wider than the post-equilibration target. Poff said the initial construction template for one south-end area is about 300 feet, with the expectation that natural equilibration will reduce the beach to roughly a 150-foot stable width after wave and wind adjustment. The council and several residents asked about whether the new sand could change local currents; the engineer said the project quantity is small compared with regional shoal systems, so major current shifts were unlikely.
Ending: Councilors and residents thanked contractors and staff for progress, and Poff urged patience as crews complete the remaining work and prepare for planting. Mariners were urged to respect the exclusion zones around dredging operations and to follow posted notices to mariners.

